Обсуждение: restoring database

restoring database

От
Simone Gadenz
Дата:
Hi all,

I try to import a db dumped on another machine but I cannot have the
restore command activated under tools.

I am really new to PostGreSQL and pgadmin, so it is really hard for me
to figure out what can be wrong. Suggestions?

S.
--

 Dr. Simone Gadenz

via P. Togliatti 69, 50051

Castelfiorentino (FI)

+39 339 6053660

*INFORMATIVA PRIVACY (ex D.lgs. 196/03)*

Le inormazioni contenute in questo documento e nei relativi allegato

possono essere riservate e sono destinate esclusivamente alla persona

od alla Società indicata come destinatario.

La diffusione e la distribuzione del presente documento a soggetti

diversi da quelli indicati, od in genere qualsivoglia utilizzo illecito

dei dati ivi contenuti, e proibita sia ai sensi dell'art. 616 del

Codice Penale che dal D.Lgs 196/03 in materia di protezione dei dati

personali (Privacy).

Se avete ricevuto per errore questo documento siete pregati di

distruggerlo e di comunicarcelo prontamente tramite e-mail o fax.

Re: restoring database

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 04/06/2008 21:12, Simone Gadenz wrote:

> I try to import a db dumped on another machine but I cannot have the
> restore command activated under tools.

PgAdmin depends on pg_dump and pg_restore (which come as part of
PostgreSQL's tool set) to do backup and restore operations, and possibly
your PgAdmin installation doesn't know where they live.

In PgAdmin, look under File -> Options, and on the "General" tab look
for the "PG bin path" item - point it at the location of these programs.
They should be in /{path to your postgres installation}/bin.

HTH,

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: restoring database

От
Simone Gadenz
Дата:
Raymond, it was set correctly to /usr/bin/ where the executables are.

Under tools only the backup is actve...not the restore.

Tks

S.

Raymond O'Donnell ha scritto:
> On 04/06/2008 21:12, Simone Gadenz wrote:
>
>> I try to import a db dumped on another machine but I cannot have the
>> restore command activated under tools.
>
> PgAdmin depends on pg_dump and pg_restore (which come as part of
> PostgreSQL's tool set) to do backup and restore operations, and
> possibly your PgAdmin installation doesn't know where they live.
>
> In PgAdmin, look under File -> Options, and on the "General" tab look
> for the "PG bin path" item - point it at the location of these
> programs. They should be in /{path to your postgres installation}/bin.
>
> HTH,
>
> Ray.

> Raymond O'Donnell, Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Ireland
> rod@iol.ie
> Galway Cathedral Recitals: http://www.galwaycathedral.org/recitals

 Dr. Simone Gadenz

via P. Togliatti 69, 50051

Castelfiorentino (FI)

+39 339 6053660

*INFORMATIVA PRIVACY (ex D.lgs. 196/03)*

Le inormazioni contenute in questo documento e nei relativi allegato

possono essere riservate e sono destinate esclusivamente alla persona

od alla Società indicata come destinatario.

La diffusione e la distribuzione del presente documento a soggetti

diversi da quelli indicati, od in genere qualsivoglia utilizzo illecito

dei dati ivi contenuti, e proibita sia ai sensi dell'art. 616 del

Codice Penale che dal D.Lgs 196/03 in materia di protezione dei dati

personali (Privacy).

Se avete ricevuto per errore questo documento siete pregati di

distruggerlo e di comunicarcelo prontamente tramite e-mail o fax.

Re: restoring database

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 05/06/2008 10:17, Simone Gadenz wrote:

> Raymond, it was set correctly to /usr/bin/ where the executables are.

Are they really in /usr/bin/, as opposed to /usr/local/pgsql/bin/ (or
some variation thereon...)? - not questioning your ability to read :-)
but AFAIK the PG executables usually get installed in their own
directory whether they come from a package or are compiled from source.

Anyway, I'm afraid I'm stumped at this point...

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: restoring database

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
> On 05/06/2008 10:17, Simone Gadenz wrote:
>
>> Raymond, it was set correctly to /usr/bin/ where the executables are.
>
> Are they really in /usr/bin/, as opposed to /usr/local/pgsql/bin/ (or some
> variation thereon...)? - not questioning your ability to read :-) but AFAIK
> the PG executables usually get installed in their own directory whether they
> come from a package or are compiled from source.
>
> Anyway, I'm afraid I'm stumped at this point...

The option is sensitive to the type of object you have selected in the
treeview. Make sure you've selected a database node.

--
Dave Page

Re: restoring database

От
Simone Gadenz
Дата:
True...I pointed to a link.

Now I point to the /usr/lib/postgresql/8.3/bin/ where the real file is
but no restore active. A database node was selected. Grrrr....

I manage to restore the database using directly the pg_retore command,
but I would like to have the pgadmin doing this...

Simone