Обсуждение: Redhat 4.0

Redhat 4.0

От
Jay Morris
Дата:
Does the PGAmin utility work for RedHat 4.2  If so which version should
I download

Thanks.

Jay Morris
NOAA Lake Charles

Re: Redhat 4.0

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Jay Morris wrote:
> Does the PGAmin utility work for RedHat 4.2  If so which version should
> I download

Redhat 4.2 first shipped over 10 years ago(!) -
http://www.redhat.com/about/presscenter/1997/press_jul2197.html. I have
little doubt that our RPMs won't work with such an ancient version, and
to be honest, I doubt you'll even be able to compile from source due to
the old versions of GTK etc. that are likely to be in that distro.

Is there any reason you cannot use something a little more modern? There
must be literally hundreds of thousands of bugs fixed since then.

Regards, Dave

Re: Redhat 4.0

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Please keep replies on list so others may benefit!

Jay Morris wrote:
> Actually it is RHEL4   ( Redhat Enterprise Level 4 ) ...  I work for the
> Government ... so everything is outdated. We do get regular updates.. etc.

Ahh, good ol' Redhat's version numbering...

> I tried the Fedora Core download and can't seem to get it to install...
>
> Which version should I try to get installed?

I'd have said that one. What errors did you get? Devrim, should the FC
RPMs work on RHEL?

Regards, Dave

Re: Redhat 4.0

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Sat, 2007-08-18 at 08:44 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> > Which version should I try to get installed?
>
> I'd have said that one. What errors did you get? Devrim, should the FC
> RPMs work on RHEL?

No.

I (at last) built and uploaded RHEL 4 RPMs. They are on developer site;
will sync to main FTP site soon. I could not test the RPMS (it can be
installed though). I'll be happy if someone downloads them and install.

I applied two small patches to pgadmin3 source code to build on RHEL 4.
pgadmin3 requires libxml2 >= 2.6.18 to build -- but RHEL has 2.6.16. I
patched acinclude.m4 and configure so that it looks for 2.6.16 ;)

Also, I built wx 2.8.3 RPMs for RHEL 4.

The patches and srpms are available on srpms/ directory:

$ ls *
rpms:
MD5SUM  pgadmin3-1.8.0-beta3_1.rhel4.i386.rpm
pgadmin3-docs-1.8.0-beta3_1.rhel4.i386.rpm

srpms:
MD5SUM  pgadmin3-1.8.0-beta3_1.rhel4.src.rpm
pgadmin3-libxml2-acinclude.m4.patch  pgadmin3-libxml2-configure.patch
pgadmin3.spec  wxGTK-2.8.3-2.rhel4.src.rpm

wx:
MD5SUM  wxGTK-2.8.3-2.rhel4.i386.rpm  wxGTK-devel-2.8.3-2.rhel4.i386.rpm
wxGTK-gl-2.8.3-2.rhel4.i386.rpm

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Redhat 4.0

От
"Dave Page"

OK.

> I (at last) built and uploaded RHEL 4 RPMs. They are on developer site;
> will sync to main FTP site soon. I could not test the RPMS (it can be
> installed though). I'll be happy if someone downloads them and install.

Thanks Devrim.

> I applied two small patches to pgadmin3 source code to build on RHEL 4.
> pgadmin3 requires libxml2 >= 2.6.18 to build -- but RHEL has 2.6.16. I
> patched acinclude.m4 and configure so that it looks for 2.6.16 ;)

Err, that check was added on purpose - part of libxml2 < 2.6.18 is broken. I added the code to acinclude.m4 to ensure
wewould only link with a library that works.

Is RHEL really that far behind? 2.6.18 has been around for ages.

/D

Re: Redhat 4.0

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 22:00 +0100, Dave Page wrote:

> Err, that check was added on purpose - part of libxml2 < 2.6.18 is
> broken. I added the code to acinclude.m4 to ensure we would only link
> with a library that works.

Hrm.

> Is RHEL really that far behind? 2.6.18 has been around for ages.

RHEL 4 was released 2,5 years ago. OTOH, libxml2's patchlevel is 10 --
which may mean that it already *may* include a patch that fixes the
broken parts of 2.6.16.

I will find a RHEL 4 tomorrow and test the RPM-- and will keep you
up2date about this.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Redhat 4.0

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 22:00 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>
>> Err, that check was added on purpose - part of libxml2 < 2.6.18 is
>> broken. I added the code to acinclude.m4 to ensure we would only link
>> with a library that works.
>
> Hrm.
>
>> Is RHEL really that far behind? 2.6.18 has been around for ages.
>
> RHEL 4 was released 2,5 years ago. OTOH, libxml2's patchlevel is 10 --
> which may mean that it already *may* include a patch that fixes the
> broken parts of 2.6.16.
>
> I will find a RHEL 4 tomorrow and test the RPM-- and will keep you
> up2date about this.

Thanks - the easiest way to test is to save a 'Favourite' in the query
tool, then restart pgAdmin and see if it's still there and works as
expected.

On the plus-side, the older libxml won't cause a crash, it just stops
the favourites working (and probably Macros in 1.8).

Regards, Dave

Re: Redhat 4.0

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 08:51 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> Thanks - the easiest way to test is to save a 'Favourite' in the query
> tool, then restart pgAdmin and see if it's still there and works as
> expected.

:-( The item I added disappeared in Favourites menu after I restarted
pgadmin3.

> On the plus-side, the older libxml won't cause a crash, it just stops
> the favourites working (and probably Macros in 1.8).

Ok, I'm for releasing the RPM for RHEL 4 (it has been asked lots of
times before) and adding a note in that directory which mentions about
these problems.

Thoughts?

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Redhat 4.0

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 08:51 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>> Thanks - the easiest way to test is to save a 'Favourite' in the query
>> tool, then restart pgAdmin and see if it's still there and works as
>> expected.
>
> :-( The item I added disappeared in Favourites menu after I restarted
> pgadmin3.
>
>> On the plus-side, the older libxml won't cause a crash, it just stops
>> the favourites working (and probably Macros in 1.8).
>
> Ok, I'm for releasing the RPM for RHEL 4 (it has been asked lots of
> times before) and adding a note in that directory which mentions about
> these problems.
>
> Thoughts?

If there's no libxml2 update for RHEL4, then that seems like the best we
can do. It's an important platform that we shouldn't ignore.

Thanks, Dave

Re: Redhat 4.0

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 09:30 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> > Ok, I'm for releasing the RPM for RHEL 4 (it has been asked lots of
> > times before) and adding a note in that directory which mentions
> > about these problems.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> If there's no libxml2 update for RHEL4, then that seems like the best
> we can do.

As I wrote, the latest version for RHEL 4 Update 5 is 2.6.16-10.

>  It's an important platform that we shouldn't ignore.

Agreed.

I just built and uploaded RHEL 4 - 64 bit RPMs. Will write a
KNOWN_PROBLEMS file and update FTP site soon.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ