Обсуждение: Problem with disconnected connections

Problem with disconnected connections

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Hi,

when the connection is closed (for example by timeout from
firewall or ssh-tunnel close) pgadmin in former versions
used to be killed on subsequent action
(reload, queries, ...).
Actual version gives a requester with unknown Error
and then there is no way to easy reconnect.
The past connection isnt even selectable from connection
button.
You have to manually close the program and reopen.

This seems far from convient ;) Is it possible
to add a button to reconnect in a lost connection?

Regards
Tino

Re: Problem with disconnected connections

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when the connection is closed (for example by timeout from
> firewall or ssh-tunnel close) pgadmin in former versions
> used to be killed on subsequent action
> (reload, queries, ...).
> Actual version gives a requester with unknown Error
> and then there is no way to easy reconnect.
> The past connection isnt even selectable from connection
> button.

Simply close the connection and connect again.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Problem with disconnected connections

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 14:16, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > when the connection is closed (for example by timeout from
> > firewall or ssh-tunnel close) pgadmin in former versions
> > used to be killed on subsequent action
> > (reload, queries, ...).
> > Actual version gives a requester with unknown Error
> > and then there is no way to easy reconnect.
> > The past connection isnt even selectable from connection
> > button.
>
> Simply close the connection and connect again.

How? There is neither a button nor a menu entry for that.

1.2.0 Post Beta 1 here.

Regards
Tino

Re: Problem with disconnected connections

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 14:16, Andreas Pflug wrote:
>
>>Tino Wildenhain wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>when the connection is closed (for example by timeout from
>>>firewall or ssh-tunnel close) pgadmin in former versions
>>>used to be killed on subsequent action
>>>(reload, queries, ...).
>>>Actual version gives a requester with unknown Error
>>>and then there is no way to easy reconnect.
>>>The past connection isnt even selectable from connection
>>>button.
>>
>>Simply close the connection and connect again.
>

> How? There is neither a button nor a menu entry for that.

Of course there is. Look at the tools menu, or context menu. Not
surprisingly, the menu is called "disconnect" or "Verbindung schließen".

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Problem with disconnected connections

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Hi,

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 15:04, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Tino Wildenhain wrote:

> >>Simply close the connection and connect again.
> >

> > How? There is neither a button nor a menu entry for that.
>
> Of course there is. Look at the tools menu, or context menu. Not
> surprisingly, the menu is called "disconnect" or "Verbindung schließen".

Surprisingly, it is grayed out :-)
No sorry, believe me I did check thoroughly :-) I'm usually not the
point and shout-out-user :-)

Regards
Tino

Re: Problem with disconnected connections

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 15:04, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 14:16, Andreas Pflug wrote:

> Of course there is. Look at the tools menu, or context menu. Not
> surprisingly, the menu is called "disconnect" or "Verbindung schließen".

Oh. Mea culpa. Of course there is one when you select the Connection
(And not the server or the Databases or the actual database)

Still the error message is not helpful at all and could at least
provide something like "Connection closed unexpectedly".
Which means - the connection closed and no need to close it
really for pgadmin somehow :-)

Regards
Tino

Re: Problem with disconnected connections

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 15:04, Andreas Pflug wrote:
>
>>Tino Wildenhain wrote:

>>>How? There is neither a button nor a menu entry for that.
>>
>>Of course there is. Look at the tools menu, or context menu. Not
>>surprisingly, the menu is called "disconnect" or "Verbindung schließen".
>

> Surprisingly, it is grayed out :-)

Please select an object that is able to disconnect, i.e. the server!

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Problem with disconnected connections

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 15:04, Andreas Pflug wrote:
>
>>Tino Wildenhain wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 14:16, Andreas Pflug wrote:

>>Of course there is. Look at the tools menu, or context menu. Not
>>surprisingly, the menu is called "disconnect" or "Verbindung schließen".
>

> Oh. Mea culpa. Of course there is one when you select the Connection
> (And not the server or the Databases or the actual database)
>
> Still the error message is not helpful at all and could at least
> provide something like "Connection closed unexpectedly".

The message comes from the driver, which unfortunatly does *not* notify
us about a closed connection. There's quite some effort in pgAdmin to
detect this situation "manually". Having a complete check for connection
sanity would put quite some performance penalty on the app, that's why
there are still undetected conn breakage situations.

Regards,
Andreas