Обсуждение: Data entry

Data entry

От
"Keith C. Perry"
Дата:
I'll apologize now if this has been discussed already but I was wondering if
there was any thoughts on how pgadmin is for data entry.

I have someone who have been using pgadmin3 (one of the snapshots from December
I think) for secure data entry and it has worked wonderfully- its much the only
client that provides a homogenous encrypted native interface to Pg across all
platformss.  The one complaint is that you have to double-click on each cell to
enter the data instead of the somewhat (albeit defacto) standard of hitting the
tab key like in a spreadsheet.

For small sets of data the current method is probably fine but from a data entry
point of view, the idea is to NOT have to pick your hands up off of the keyboard.

Again, I'm not sure what the consensus is on pgadmin as a data entry tool so I
would not make "tab key functionality change" feature request but I'm wondering
if this is something that could be user selectable?  Perhaps a "Data Entry mode"
in options would be feasible?

Thanks for you time and pgadmin 3.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications

Re: Data entry

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Keith C. Perry wrote:

>I'll apologize now if this has been discussed already but I was wondering if
>there was any thoughts on how pgadmin is for data entry.
>
>I have someone who have been using pgadmin3 (one of the snapshots from December
>I think) for secure data entry and it has worked wonderfully- its much the only
>client that provides a homogenous encrypted native interface to Pg across all
>platformss.  The one complaint is that you have to double-click on each cell to
>enter the data instead of the somewhat (albeit defacto) standard of hitting the
>tab key like in a spreadsheet.
>
>For small sets of data the current method is probably fine but from a data entry
>point of view, the idea is to NOT have to pick your hands up off of the keyboard.
>
>Again, I'm not sure what the consensus is on pgadmin as a data entry tool so I
>would not make "tab key functionality change" feature request but I'm wondering
>if this is something that could be user selectable?  Perhaps a "Data Entry mode"
>in options would be feasible?

This is the way it should work; still there were problems with the
underlying control. This seems to be fixed with the current version, see
our 1.1.0 snapshots.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Data entry

От
"Keith C. Perry"
Дата:
Quoting Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de>:

> Keith C. Perry wrote:
>
> >I'll apologize now if this has been discussed already but I was wondering
> if
> >there was any thoughts on how pgadmin is for data entry.
> >
> >I have someone who have been using pgadmin3 (one of the snapshots from
> December
> >I think) for secure data entry and it has worked wonderfully- its much the
> only
> >client that provides a homogenous encrypted native interface to Pg across
> all
> >platformss.  The one complaint is that you have to double-click on each cell
> >enter the data instead of the somewhat (albeit defacto) standard of hitting
> the
> >tab key like in a spreadsheet.
> >
> >For small sets of data the current method is probably fine but from a data
> entry
> >point of view, the idea is to NOT have to pick your hands up off of the
> keyboard.
> >
> >Again, I'm not sure what the consensus is on pgadmin as a data entry tool so
> >would not make "tab key functionality change" feature request but I'm
> wondering
> >if this is something that could be user selectable?  Perhaps a "Data Entry
> mode"
> >in options would be feasible?
> >

> This is the way it should work; still there were problems with the
> underlying control. This seems to be fixed with the current version, see
> our 1.1.0 snapshots.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

Ahhh, well that is good to here.  I'm going to pull down the 3/16/2004 Win32
snapshot but if you could upgrade the Slackware snapshot, I would greatly
appreciate it.

Thanks!

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications
VCSN, Inc.
http://vcsn.com
____________________________________
This email account is being host by:
VCSN, Inc : http://vcsn.com

Re: Data entry

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Keith C. Perry wrote:

>Ahhh, well that is good to here.  I'm going to pull down the 3/16/2004 Win32
>snapshot but if you could upgrade the Slackware snapshot, I would greatly
>appreciate it.

Will happen automagically this night, because for all platforms except
win32 :-(  we have nightly automated builds.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Data entry

От
"Keith C. Perry"
Дата:
Quoting Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de>:

> Keith C. Perry wrote:
>

> >Ahhh, well that is good to here.  I'm going to pull down the 3/16/2004
> Win32
> >snapshot but if you could upgrade the Slackware snapshot, I would greatly
> >appreciate it.
> >

> Will happen automagically this night, because for all platforms except
> win32 :-(  we have nightly automated builds.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

Heheh, is that right?  Ok, I thought something happened because there hasn't
been a slackware build on http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/snapshots/linux/slackware9/since 12/11/2003.  The win32 path
manymore 2004 snapshots than just the

current one.  Slackware and FC1 have no 2004 snapshots.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications
VCSN, Inc.
http://vcsn.com
This email account is being host by:
VCSN, Inc : http://vcsn.com

Re: Data entry

От
"Dave Page"

Dunno about FC1, but the Slackware build machine (which happens to be
developer.pgadmin.org) is running Slackware 9.1 now so the snapshots are
in http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/snapshots/linux/slackware91/

Regards, Dave.