Обсуждение: pgAdmin 1.14 Visual Tour

pgAdmin 1.14 Visual Tour

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Hi,

I've been working on this today, and here is what I came up to:

  http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/visualtour14.php

It still needs some love. I need fresh ideas, comments, english fixes,
design skills, and all that kind of stuff. I don't think I forgot new
functionalities, but if it happened, please tell me.

Thanks.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: pgAdmin 1.14 Visual Tour

От
Adam Scott
Дата:
Cool.

Here's my feedback.

"Dialogs contain at least one more tab to put all the informations"
should be (s/b)
"Dialogs contain at least one more tab to put all the information"

"The first tab has always the same informations"
s/b
"The first tab always has the same information"

"There are still the security tab"
s/b
"There is still the security tab"

"Properties' dialog is available"
s/b
"Properties dialog is available"

"The behaviour of this properties'"
s/b
The behaviour of this properties"  (This correction is the removal of the apostrophe at the end of the word "properties")

"We have two new informations"
might be better expressed
"We have two new pieces of information"

"shows new informations"
s/b
"shows new information"

"with the 100 first rows"
might be better expressed
"with the first 100 rows"

"find the new informations"
s/b
"find the new information"

"Domains are also subjects to change"
s/b
"Domains are also subjects to change"

"panel for selection informations"
s/b
"panel for selection information"

"Select old values when connecting to another server and Load plugins from any .ini file found in a new "
Isn't complete.  Not sure what it needs to say.

"You do this by righ clicking"
s/b
"You do this by right clicking"

" when you'll launch pgAdmin"
s/b
" when you launch pgAdmin"

"neat things with extension"
s/b
"neat things with this extension"

Just my suggestions.  Thanks!

Adam C. Scott

I've been working on this today, and here is what I came up to:

 http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/visualtour14.php

It still needs some love. I need fresh ideas, comments, english fixes,
design skills, and all that kind of stuff. I don't think I forgot new
functionalities, but if it happened, please tell me.

Thanks.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr
 http://dalibo.com

Re: pgAdmin 1.14 Visual Tour

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
Hi Guillaume!

I find the visual tour very useful!

One thing:
> We allowed the use of the mousewheel to display the text bigger or smaller.
This has already been there in 1.12.2 or earlier.

And one ammendment to Adam's suggestions:
On May 1, 12:57 am, adam.c.sc...@gmail.com (Adam Scott) wrote:
(...)
> "Dialogs contain at least one more tab to put all the informations"
> should be (s/b)
> "Dialogs contain at least one more tab to put all the information"

Keep it simple:
"Dialogs now contain two or more tabs."

Regards
Erwin

Re: pgAdmin 1.14 Visual Tour

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On 05/01/2011 11:04 PM, Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> Hi Guillaume!
>
> I find the visual tour very useful!
>
> One thing:
>> We allowed the use of the mousewheel to display the text bigger or smaller.
> This has already been there in 1.12.2 or earlier.

You're right for the query. You're wrong for the results :)

> And one ammendment to Adam's suggestions:
> On May 1, 12:57 am, adam.c.sc...@gmail.com (Adam Scott) wrote:
> (...)
>> "Dialogs contain at least one more tab to put all the informations"
>> should be (s/b)
>> "Dialogs contain at least one more tab to put all the information"
>
> Keep it simple:
> "Dialogs now contain two or more tabs."

Should be three or more, because you always had at least one tab of
information and one tab for the SQL query. But I get your point.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: pgAdmin 1.14 Visual Tour

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On 05/01/2011 11:23 PM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On 05/01/2011 11:04 PM, Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
>> Hi Guillaume!
>>
>> I find the visual tour very useful!
>>
>> One thing:
>>> We allowed the use of the mousewheel to display the text bigger or smaller.
>> This has already been there in 1.12.2 or earlier.
>>

> You're right for the query. You're wrong for the results :)
>
>> And one ammendment to Adam's suggestions:
>> On May 1, 12:57 am, adam.c.sc...@gmail.com (Adam Scott) wrote:
>> (...)
>>> "Dialogs contain at least one more tab to put all the informations"
>>> should be (s/b)
>>> "Dialogs contain at least one more tab to put all the information"
>>
>> Keep it simple:
>> "Dialogs now contain two or more tabs."
>>

> Should be three or more, because you always had at least one tab of
> information and one tab for the SQL query. But I get your point.

Fixed for both. Thanks for your reading.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: pgAdmin 1.14 Visual Tour

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been working on this today, and here is what I came up to:
>
>  http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/visualtour14.php
>
> It still needs some love. I need fresh ideas, comments, english fixes,
> design skills, and all that kind of stuff. I don't think I forgot new
> functionalities, but if it happened, please tell me.

Can I edit that file directly? Seems easier than giving feedback.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin 1.14 Visual Tour

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On 05/04/2011 03:47 PM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been working on this today, and here is what I came up to:
>>
>>  http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/visualtour14.php
>>
>> It still needs some love. I need fresh ideas, comments, english fixes,
>> design skills, and all that kind of stuff. I don't think I forgot new
>> functionalities, but if it happened, please tell me.
>
> Can I edit that file directly? Seems easier than giving feedback.

Sure, go ahead.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: pgAdmin 1.14 Visual Tour

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On 05/04/2011 04:05 PM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On 05/04/2011 03:47 PM, Dave Page wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been working on this today, and here is what I came up to:
>>>
>>>  http://wwwdevel.pgadmin.org/visualtour14.php
>>>
>>> It still needs some love. I need fresh ideas, comments, english fixes,
>>> design skills, and all that kind of stuff. I don't think I forgot new
>>> functionalities, but if it happened, please tell me.
>>
>> Can I edit that file directly? Seems easier than giving feedback.
>>

> Sure, go ahead.

As you weren't working on it, I did a few changes that Vik Reykja told
me about.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: pgAdmin 1.14 Visual Tour

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> On 05/04/2011 04:05 PM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> On 05/04/2011 03:47 PM, Dave Page wrote:

>>> Can I edit that file directly? Seems easier than giving feedback.
>>>

>> Sure, go ahead.
>>

> As you weren't working on it, I did a few changes that Vik Reykja told
> me about.

OK, I made a pass over it and tweaked a bunch of things. One thing I didn't fix:

  ' . _("Select old values when connecting to another server and
Load plugins from any .ini file found in a new ") . '

The text seems to appear randomly in the file. Unfinished paragraph?

Also (I can't be bothered to check this now as I'm too tired) - do we
only allow the user to install extensions that the server knows about
as the text implies? Because you can add any extension to the
filesystem and use CREATE EXTENSION on it, as long as the control file
is in the right place.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin 1.14 Visual Tour

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On 05/04/2011 08:05 PM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>>> Sure, go ahead.
>>>

>> As you weren't working on it, I did a few changes that Vik Reykja told
>> me about.
>
> OK, I made a pass over it and tweaked a bunch of things. One thing I didn't fix:

>   ' . _("Select old values when connecting to another server and
> Load plugins from any .ini file found in a new ") . '
>
> The text seems to appear randomly in the file. Unfinished paragraph?

Yes, will work on this right now.

> Also (I can't be bothered to check this now as I'm too tired) - do we
> only allow the user to install extensions that the server knows about
> as the text implies?

Yes.

> Because you can add any extension to the
> filesystem and use CREATE EXTENSION on it, as long as the control file
> is in the right place.

Hmm, I'll have to check this, I never tried. If you're right, we just
need to make the combobox editable.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: pgAdmin 1.14 Visual Tour

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On 05/04/2011 09:06 PM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On 05/04/2011 08:05 PM, Dave Page wrote:
>> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>>> As you weren't working on it, I did a few changes that Vik Reykja told
>>> me about.
>>
>> OK, I made a pass over it and tweaked a bunch of things. One thing I didn't fix:

>>   ' . _("Select old values when connecting to another server and
>> Load plugins from any .ini file found in a new ") . '
>>
>> The text seems to appear randomly in the file. Unfinished paragraph?
>>

> Yes, will work on this right now.

Done, but I don't really like how I explained the plugins directory.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: pgAdmin 1.14 Visual Tour

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

> Done, but I don't really like how I explained the plugins directory.

I rewrote the paragraph. I think it works now - does it look OK to you?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin 1.14 Visual Tour

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On 05/04/2011 09:32 PM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>
>> Done, but I don't really like how I explained the plugins directory.
>
> I rewrote the paragraph. I think it works now - does it look OK to you?

More than OK, just great :)

I still have much to learn about the english language when I see all the
fixes you and others did.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: pgAdmin 1.14 Visual Tour

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> On 05/04/2011 09:32 PM, Dave Page wrote:
>> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>>
>>> Done, but I don't really like how I explained the plugins directory.
>>
>> I rewrote the paragraph. I think it works now - does it look OK to you?
>>

> More than OK, just great :)

Thanks :-)

> I still have much to learn about the english language when I see all the
> fixes you and others did.

Mostly just language oddities I think. Generally, your English is excellent.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin 1.14 Visual Tour

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On 05/04/2011 09:51 PM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> On 05/04/2011 09:32 PM, Dave Page wrote:

>>> I rewrote the paragraph. I think it works now - does it look OK to you?
>>>

>> More than OK, just great :)
>
> Thanks :-)

Do we publish it right now, or should we wait?

>> I still have much to learn about the english language when I see all the
>> fixes you and others did.
>
> Mostly just language oddities I think. Generally, your English is excellent.

Thanks :)

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: pgAdmin 1.14 Visual Tour

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wednesday, May 4, 2011, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> On 05/04/2011 09:51 PM, Dave Page wrote:
>> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>>> More than OK, just great :)
>>
>> Thanks :-)
>>

> Do we publish it right now, or should we wait?

Sure, why not?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin 1.14 Visual Tour

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On 05/04/2011 10:29 PM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 4, 2011, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> On 05/04/2011 09:51 PM, Dave Page wrote:

>>> Thanks :-)
>>>

>> Do we publish it right now, or should we wait?
>
> Sure, why not?

I wasn't sure. But I'm completely fine with publishing it.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr