Обсуждение: Feature request: disable copying SQL from main window to query tool by default

Feature request: disable copying SQL from main window to query tool by default

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
Hi,

Not so much a feature request but a tweak to a default settings.  The guys at work agree that copying the creation script for a database object into a new query window is a bit annoying and unnecessary as we always end up having to clear the window each time before typing anything.  I imagine it's not something people will want a vast majority of the time, so maybe not disabling it by default would be a good idea.  We've now disabled it in our own clients, but find it odd it's enabled as default behaviour in the first place.

Cheers!

Thom

Re: Feature request: disable copying SQL from main window to query tool by default

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 21/12/2009 15:41, Thom Brown a écrit :
> [...]
> Not so much a feature request but a tweak to a default settings.  The guys
> at work agree that copying the creation script for a database object into a
> new query window is a bit annoying and unnecessary as we always end up
> having to clear the window each time before typing anything.  I imagine it's
> not something people will want a vast majority of the time, so maybe not
> disabling it by default would be a good idea.  We've now disabled it in our
> own clients, but find it odd it's enabled as default behaviour in the first
> place.

I have the exact same behavior: open the query tool, delete the SQL
script, start the real work. Kind of annoying. So I won't oppose to fix
it this way :)

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: Feature request: disable copying SQL from main window to query tool by default

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Not so much a feature request but a tweak to a default settings.  The guys
> at work agree that copying the creation script for a database object into a
> new query window is a bit annoying and unnecessary as we always end up
> having to clear the window each time before typing anything.  I imagine it's
> not something people will want a vast majority of the time, so maybe not
> disabling it by default would be a good idea.  We've now disabled it in our
> own clients, but find it odd it's enabled as default behaviour in the first
> place.

It's a historic thing. Happy if anyone wants to change the default now though.

--
Dave Page

Re: Feature request: disable copying SQL from main window to query tool by default

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 21/12/2009 15:41, Thom Brown a écrit :
>> [...]
>> Not so much a feature request but a tweak to a default settings.  The guys
>> at work agree that copying the creation script for a database object into a
>> new query window is a bit annoying and unnecessary as we always end up
>> having to clear the window each time before typing anything.  I imagine it's
>> not something people will want a vast majority of the time, so maybe not
>> disabling it by default would be a good idea.  We've now disabled it in our
>> own clients, but find it odd it's enabled as default behaviour in the first
>> place.
>>

> I have the exact same behavior: open the query tool, delete the SQL
> script, start the real work. Kind of annoying. So I won't oppose to fix
> it this way :)

We're talking about the default value for the option that does that
already. It just defaults to on at the moment, but Thom thinks off
seems more sensible.

--
Dave Page

Re: Feature request: disable copying SQL from main window to query tool by default

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
2009/12/22 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Le 21/12/2009 15:41, Thom Brown a écrit :
>>> [...]
>>> Not so much a feature request but a tweak to a default settings.  The guys
>>> at work agree that copying the creation script for a database object into a
>>> new query window is a bit annoying and unnecessary as we always end up
>>> having to clear the window each time before typing anything.  I imagine it's
>>> not something people will want a vast majority of the time, so maybe not
>>> disabling it by default would be a good idea.  We've now disabled it in our
>>> own clients, but find it odd it's enabled as default behaviour in the first
>>> place.
>>>

>> I have the exact same behavior: open the query tool, delete the SQL
>> script, start the real work. Kind of annoying. So I won't oppose to fix
>> it this way :)
>
> We're talking about the default value for the option that does that
> already. It just defaults to on at the moment, but Thom thinks off
> seems more sensible.

+1 for the idea of changing it to off by default.

We still have an explicit option in the right-click menu to do it, right?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Feature request: disable copying SQL from main window to query tool by default

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> We still have an explicit option in the right-click menu to do it, right?

What right-click menu?

--
Dave Page

Re: Feature request: disable copying SQL from main window to query tool by default

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 22/12/2009 10:57, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Le 21/12/2009 15:41, Thom Brown a écrit :
>>> [...]
>>> Not so much a feature request but a tweak to a default settings.  The guys
>>> at work agree that copying the creation script for a database object into a
>>> new query window is a bit annoying and unnecessary as we always end up
>>> having to clear the window each time before typing anything.  I imagine it's
>>> not something people will want a vast majority of the time, so maybe not
>>> disabling it by default would be a good idea.  We've now disabled it in our
>>> own clients, but find it odd it's enabled as default behaviour in the first
>>> place.
>>>

>> I have the exact same behavior: open the query tool, delete the SQL
>> script, start the real work. Kind of annoying. So I won't oppose to fix
>> it this way :)
>
> We're talking about the default value for the option that does that
> already. It just defaults to on at the moment, but Thom thinks off
> seems more sensible.

OK, so, IOW, I think he's right. We should turn it off by default.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: Feature request: disable copying SQL from main window to query tool by default

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
2009/12/22 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 21/12/2009 15:41, Thom Brown a écrit :
>> [...]
>> Not so much a feature request but a tweak to a default settings.  The guys
>> at work agree that copying the creation script for a database object into a
>> new query window is a bit annoying and unnecessary as we always end up
>> having to clear the window each time before typing anything.  I imagine it's
>> not something people will want a vast majority of the time, so maybe not
>> disabling it by default would be a good idea.  We've now disabled it in our
>> own clients, but find it odd it's enabled as default behaviour in the first
>> place.
>>

> I have the exact same behavior: open the query tool, delete the SQL
> script, start the real work. Kind of annoying. So I won't oppose to fix
> it this way :)

We're talking about the default value for the option that does that
already. It just defaults to on at the moment, but Thom thinks off
seems more sensible.

Yes, I'm not against it being available, just it being the default behaviour. :)  The specific option I'm referring to is in File > Options, and in the Query tab there's an option named "Copy SQL from main window to query tool" which is checked by default.

Thom

Re: Feature request: disable copying SQL from main window to query tool by default

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
2009/12/22 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>:
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
>> We still have an explicit option in the right-click menu to do it, right?
>
> What right-click menu?

Right click on an object in the tree.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Feature request: disable copying SQL from main window to query tool by default

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> 2009/12/22 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>:
>> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>
>>> We still have an explicit option in the right-click menu to do it, right?
>>
>> What right-click menu?
>
> Right click on an object in the tree.

Oh right. We'll, yeah there's the CREATE SCRIPT option.

--
Dave Page

Re: Feature request: disable copying SQL from main window to query tool by default

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 22/12/2009 11:02, Thom Brown a écrit :
> 2009/12/22 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
>
>> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> guys
>> into a
>> it's
>> our
>> first
>>>>

>>> I have the exact same behavior: open the query tool, delete the SQL
>>> script, start the real work. Kind of annoying. So I won't oppose to fix
>>> it this way :)
>>
>> We're talking about the default value for the option that does that
>> already. It just defaults to on at the moment, but Thom thinks off
>> seems more sensible.
>>

> Yes, I'm not against it being available, just it being the default
> behaviour. :)  The specific option I'm referring to is in File > Options,
> and in the Query tab there's an option named "Copy SQL from main window to
> query tool" which is checked by default.

To tell the truth, I didn't remember there was an option for this. I'll
turn it off.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: Feature request: disable copying SQL from main window to query tool by default

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
2009/12/22 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>
Le 22/12/2009 11:02, Thom Brown a écrit :
> 2009/12/22 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
>
>> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> guys
>> into a
>> it's
>> our
>> first
>>>>

>>> I have the exact same behavior: open the query tool, delete the SQL
>>> script, start the real work. Kind of annoying. So I won't oppose to fix
>>> it this way :)
>>
>> We're talking about the default value for the option that does that
>> already. It just defaults to on at the moment, but Thom thinks off
>> seems more sensible.
>>

> Yes, I'm not against it being available, just it being the default
> behaviour. :)  The specific option I'm referring to is in File > Options,
> and in the Query tab there's an option named "Copy SQL from main window to
> query tool" which is checked by default.

To tell the truth, I didn't remember there was an option for this. I'll
turn it off.

Thanks guys! :)

Thom

Re: Feature request: disable copying SQL from main window to query tool by default

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 22/12/2009 11:07, Thom Brown a écrit :
> 2009/12/22 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>

>> imagine
>> not
>> in

>>> Yes, I'm not against it being available, just it being the default
>>> behaviour. :)  The specific option I'm referring to is in File > Options,
>>> and in the Query tab there's an option named "Copy SQL from main window
>>> query tool" which is checked by default.
>>>

>> To tell the truth, I didn't remember there was an option for this. I'll
>> turn it off.
>>

> Thanks guys! :)

Done. I didn't backpatch it on the 1.10 branch. I don't think we should
do this but I don't really have a hard feeling on this, so tell me if it
needs to be done.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: Feature request: disable copying SQL from main window to query tool by default

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Done. I didn't backpatch it on the 1.10 branch. I don't think we should
> do this but I don't really have a hard feeling on this, so tell me if it
> needs to be done.

It's not a bug fix so it doesn't get back patched.

--
Dave Page

Re: Feature request: disable copying SQL from main window to query tool by default

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
2009/12/22 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Done. I didn't backpatch it on the 1.10 branch. I don't think we should
> do this but I don't really have a hard feeling on this, so tell me if it
> needs to be done.

It's not a bug fix so it doesn't get back patched.

Out of curiosity, will this only affect those who are installing pgAdmin without an existing version installed?  Meaning, will upgrades have no effect on this option's default due to a pre-existing configuration file somewhere?

Thom

Re: Feature request: disable copying SQL from main window to query tool by default

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 22/12/2009 14:23, Thom Brown a écrit :
> 2009/12/22 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
>
>> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>> Done. I didn't backpatch it on the 1.10 branch. I don't think we should
>>> do this but I don't really have a hard feeling on this, so tell me if it
>>> needs to be done.
>>
>> It's not a bug fix so it doesn't get back patched.
>>

> Out of curiosity, will this only affect those who are installing pgAdmin
> without an existing version installed?

Yes.

> Meaning, will upgrades have no
> effect on this option's default due to a pre-existing configuration file
> somewhere?

Yes.

It'll affect first time users.

--