Обсуждение: pgAdmin3 icon

pgAdmin3 icon

От
Jean-Michel Pouré
Дата:
Dear Friends,

I follow pgAdmin3 project with great pleasure, many thanks for your
work.

Please find attached an updated icon for pgAdmin3:
http://www.poure.com/images/pgadmin3.xcf

I took PostgreSQL stock icon and applied a shadow effect in Gimp.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Dave Page
Дата:
2009/12/8 Jean-Michel Pouré <jmpoure@free.fr>:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I follow pgAdmin3 project with great pleasure, many thanks for your
> work.
>
> Please find attached an updated icon for pgAdmin3:
> http://www.poure.com/images/pgadmin3.xcf
>
> I took PostgreSQL stock icon and applied a shadow effect in Gimp.

Hi Jean-Michel,

Thanks!

The main problem we have with the icons is resizing them without them
looking terrible. Can you produce a full set that look good at all the
sizes we use - 16x16, 32x32, 128x128 (and optionally, for the Mac
256x256 & 512x512)?

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
2009/12/8 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
2009/12/8 Jean-Michel Pouré <jmpoure@free.fr>:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I follow pgAdmin3 project with great pleasure, many thanks for your
> work.
>
> Please find attached an updated icon for pgAdmin3:
> http://www.poure.com/images/pgadmin3.xcf
>
> I took PostgreSQL stock icon and applied a shadow effect in Gimp.

Hi Jean-Michel,

Thanks!

The main problem we have with the icons is resizing them without them
looking terrible. Can you produce a full set that look good at all the
sizes we use - 16x16, 32x32, 128x128 (and optionally, for the Mac
256x256 & 512x512)?

--
Dave Page

Does Windows support ico files up to 512x512?  If so, this might work: http://darkixion.com/pg.ico

Thom

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
2009/12/8 Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com>
2009/12/8 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>

2009/12/8 Jean-Michel Pouré <jmpoure@free.fr>:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I follow pgAdmin3 project with great pleasure, many thanks for your
> work.
>
> Please find attached an updated icon for pgAdmin3:
> http://www.poure.com/images/pgadmin3.xcf
>
> I took PostgreSQL stock icon and applied a shadow effect in Gimp.

Hi Jean-Michel,

Thanks!

The main problem we have with the icons is resizing them without them
looking terrible. Can you produce a full set that look good at all the
sizes we use - 16x16, 32x32, 128x128 (and optionally, for the Mac
256x256 & 512x512)?

--
Dave Page

Does Windows support ico files up to 512x512?  If so, this might work: http://darkixion.com/pg.ico

Thom

Actually I just tried that and it didn't work.  How about http://darkixion.com/pg2.ico

Thom

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
I follow pgAdmin3 project with great pleasure, many thanks for your
work.

Please find attached an updated icon for pgAdmin3:
http://www.poure.com/images/pgadmin3.xcf

I took PostgreSQL stock icon and applied a shadow effect in Gimp.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

I just use the plain PostgreSQL SVG on Ubuntu, but I prefer your version, so I might use that instead. :)  Is it available as an SVG or is it raster only?

Thom

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
2009/12/8 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
2009/12/8 Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com>:

>> Does Windows support ico files up to 512x512?  If so, this might work:
>> http://darkixion.com/pg.ico
>>
>> Thom
>>

> Actually I just tried that and it didn't work.  How about
> http://darkixion.com/pg2.ico

Very jagged edges I'm afraid. The attached screenshot illustrates what I mean.

Ah bo***cks.  That was supposed to contain 512, 256, 128, 32 and 16 sizes.  Not sure how to create a decent looking one then.

Thom

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Dave Page
Дата:
2009/12/8 Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com>:

>> Does Windows support ico files up to 512x512?  If so, this might work:
>> http://darkixion.com/pg.ico
>>
>> Thom
>>

> Actually I just tried that and it didn't work.  How about
> http://darkixion.com/pg2.ico

Very jagged edges I'm afraid. The attached screenshot illustrates what I mean.

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Dave Page
Дата:
2009/12/8 Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com>:

> Ah bo***cks.  That was supposed to contain 512, 256, 128, 32 and 16 sizes.
> Not sure how to create a decent looking one then.

Oh, ok - that explains the three extra formats that visual studio
barfed on and referred to simply as "2573x1293,XP". The 16x16 and
32x32 worked ok though, just didn't look so good.

Thanks for trying though.

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Jean-Michel Pouré
Дата:
Le mardi 08 décembre 2009 à 10:03 +0000, Dave Page a écrit :
> The main problem we have with the icons is resizing them without them
> looking terrible. Can you produce a full set that look good at all the
> sizes we use - 16x16, 32x32, 128x128 (and optionally, for the Mac
> 256x256 & 512x512)?

The icon resizes very well. What format do you need? png, ico, etc ?
Also, is there an SVG version of the postgresql.org icon?

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Jean-Michel Pouré
Дата:
Le mardi 08 décembre 2009 à 16:18 +0100, Jean-Michel Pouré a écrit :
> The icon resizes very well. What format do you need? png, ico, etc ?
> Also, is there an SVG version of the postgresql.org icon?

Okay I am looking for icons in SVN. Where are they located in SVN? I
cannot find them. Thanks in advance. JM

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Jean-Michel Pouré
Дата:
Le mardi 08 décembre 2009 à 14:27 +0000, Dave Page a écrit :
> > Ah bo***cks.  That was supposed to contain 512, 256, 128, 32 and 16
> sizes.
> > Not sure how to create a decent looking one then.

Dear Dave,

Here is the SVG logo with shadow:
http://www.poure.com/images/pgadmin3.svg

The source file without shadow was found on:
http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000089

As for icons, it is better to have shadows.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Dave Page
Дата:
2009/12/8 Jean-Michel Pouré <jmpoure@free.fr>:
> Le mardi 08 décembre 2009 à 14:27 +0000, Dave Page a écrit :
>> > Ah bo***cks.  That was supposed to contain 512, 256, 128, 32 and 16
>> sizes.
>> > Not sure how to create a decent looking one then.
>
> Dear Dave,
>
> Here is the SVG logo with shadow:
> http://www.poure.com/images/pgadmin3.svg
>
> The source file without shadow was found on:
> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000089
>
> As for icons, it is better to have shadows.

I think the problem is that the image is just too complex to scale
nicely below about 48x48 without some expert tweaking. 32x32 starts to
look a little rough, and 16x16 just looks terrible.

I wonder if we need to start with a less complex version, like the
one-colour elephant.

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le mardi 8 décembre 2009 à 19:59:33, Dave Page a écrit :

> >> sizes.

> > Dear Dave,
> >
> > Here is the SVG logo with shadow:
> > http://www.poure.com/images/pgadmin3.svg
> >
> > The source file without shadow was found on:
> > http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000089
> >
> > As for icons, it is better to have shadows.
>
> I think the problem is that the image is just too complex to scale
> nicely below about 48x48 without some expert tweaking. 32x32 starts to
> look a little rough, and 16x16 just looks terrible.

I asked my cousin to work on this. He agreed. I hope to have something in a
few days.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Dave Page
Дата:
2009/12/8 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>:

> I wonder if we need to start with a less complex version, like the
> one-colour elephant.

The attached seems to go down to 16x16 reasonably well. Thoughts?

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Dave Page
Дата:
2009/12/8 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>:
> 2009/12/8 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>:
>
>> I wonder if we need to start with a less complex version, like the
>> one-colour elephant.
>
> The attached seems to go down to 16x16 reasonably well. Thoughts?

Incidently - when viewed in Safari, the shadow is not shown for some
reasons. It's there in Inkscape though, as well as a png export
(attached).

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Jean-Michel Pouré
Дата:
Le mardi 08 décembre 2009 à 22:41 +0100, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> I asked my cousin to work on this. He agreed. I hope to have something
> in a
> few days.

Thanks. So let's wait for his proposal.

Bye. Jean-Michel

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le mercredi 9 décembre 2009 à 01:04:16, Jean-Michel Pouré a écrit :
> Le mardi 08 décembre 2009 à 22:41 +0100, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> > I asked my cousin to work on this. He agreed. I hope to have something
> > in a
> > few days.
>
> Thanks. So let's wait for his proposal.
>
> Bye. Jean-Michel

Here is a first try. Comments?

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Dave Page
Дата:
2009/12/9 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>:
> Le mercredi 9 décembre 2009 à 01:04:16, Jean-Michel Pouré a écrit :
>> Le mardi 08 décembre 2009 à 22:41 +0100, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
>> > I asked my cousin to work on this. He agreed. I hope to have something
>> > in a
>> > few days.
>>
>> Thanks. So let's wait for his proposal.
>>
>> Bye. Jean-Michel
>>

> Here is a first try. Comments?

It's certainly cleaner, but still somewhat hard to make out. I still
think we need to simplify the design, for example, as per the
suggested image I posted.

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le jeudi 10 décembre 2009 à 15:22:26, Dave Page a écrit :
> 2009/12/9 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>:
> >>
> >> Thanks. So let's wait for his proposal.
> >>
> >> Bye. Jean-Michel
> >
> > Here is a first try. Comments?
>
> It's certainly cleaner, but still somewhat hard to make out. I still
> think we need to simplify the design, for example, as per the
> suggested image I posted.

Yeah, it would be better to have a simple design.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Jean-Michel Pouré
Дата:
Le mercredi 09 décembre 2009 à 15:33 +0100, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Here is a first try. Comments?

I think it is excellent Guillaume, much better than present pgAdmin3
icon.

Dave, making a simple design demands nearly professional skills.

For example, I like Gnome Colors, which provides simple icons:
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GNOME-colors?content=82562

But it is difficult to achieve.

Bye,
Jean-Michel

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Dave Page
Дата:
2009/12/10 Jean-Michel Pouré <jmpoure@free.fr>:
> Le mercredi 09 décembre 2009 à 15:33 +0100, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
>> Here is a first try. Comments?
>
> I think it is excellent Guillaume, much better than present pgAdmin3
> icon.
>
> Dave, making a simple design demands nearly professional skills.

Well, yeah - that's precisely the problem :-)

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le mardi 8 décembre 2009 à 22:47:31, Dave Page a écrit :
> 2009/12/8 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>:
> > 2009/12/8 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>:
> >> I wonder if we need to start with a less complex version, like the
> >> one-colour elephant.
> >
> > The attached seems to go down to 16x16 reasonably well. Thoughts?
>
> Incidently - when viewed in Safari, the shadow is not shown for some
> reasons. It's there in Inkscape though, as well as a png export
> (attached).

I find it good looking, even on a 16x16 scale.

Is there anything else to do before using it?

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Dave Page
Дата:
2009/12/11 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>:
> Le mardi 8 décembre 2009 à 22:47:31, Dave Page a écrit :
>> >
>> > The attached seems to go down to 16x16 reasonably well. Thoughts?
>>
>> Incidently - when viewed in Safari, the shadow is not shown for some
>> reasons. It's there in Inkscape though, as well as a png export
>> (attached).
>>

> I find it good looking, even on a 16x16 scale.
>
> Is there anything else to do before using it?

I have it in various other multi-size formats (eg. .ico and .icns),
but didn't post them as they're quite big (and frankly, need a little
optimisation). Let me upload them and see what you think when you view
the different sizes/colour depths...

<uploads>

Here you go: http://developer.pgadmin.org/~dpage/pga-icons.zip

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
2009/12/11 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
2009/12/11 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>:
> Le mardi 8 décembre 2009 à 22:47:31, Dave Page a écrit :
>> >
>> > The attached seems to go down to 16x16 reasonably well. Thoughts?
>>
>> Incidently - when viewed in Safari, the shadow is not shown for some
>> reasons. It's there in Inkscape though, as well as a png export
>> (attached).
>>

> I find it good looking, even on a 16x16 scale.
>
> Is there anything else to do before using it?

I have it in various other multi-size formats (eg. .ico and .icns),
but didn't post them as they're quite big (and frankly, need a little
optimisation). Let me upload them and see what you think when you view
the different sizes/colour depths...

<uploads>

Here you go: http://developer.pgadmin.org/~dpage/pga-icons.zip

I just tried the ico file on a desktop shortcut and it looks great!  The only problem would be if you had a background of a similar colour, but it is very clear.

Thom

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le vendredi 11 décembre 2009 à 11:19:48, Thom Brown a écrit :
> 2009/12/11 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>

> > > I find it good looking, even on a 16x16 scale.
> > >
> > > Is there anything else to do before using it?
> >
> > I have it in various other multi-size formats (eg. .ico and .icns),
> > but didn't post them as they're quite big (and frankly, need a little
> > optimisation). Let me upload them and see what you think when you view
> > the different sizes/colour depths...
> >
> > <uploads>
> >
> > Here you go:
> > http://developer.pgadmin.org/~dpage/pga-icons.zip<http://developer.pgadmi
> >n.org/%7Edpage/pga-icons.zip>
>
> I just tried the ico file on a desktop shortcut and it looks great!  The
> only problem would be if you had a background of a similar colour, but it
>  is very clear.

Seems good to me too.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Dave Page
Дата:
2009/12/11 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>:
> Le vendredi 11 décembre 2009 à 11:19:48, Thom Brown a écrit :

>> > I have it in various other multi-size formats (eg. .ico and .icns),
>> > but didn't post them as they're quite big (and frankly, need a little
>> > optimisation). Let me upload them and see what you think when you view
>> > the different sizes/colour depths...
>> >
>> > <uploads>
>> >
>> > Here you go:
>> > http://developer.pgadmin.org/~dpage/pga-icons.zip<http://developer.pgadmi
>> >n.org/%7Edpage/pga-icons.zip>
>>
>> I just tried the ico file on a desktop shortcut and it looks great!  The
>> only problem would be if you had a background of a similar colour, but it
>>  is very clear.
>>

> Seems good to me too.

OK, I'll try to optimise a little more (by removing any redundant
formats) and see how it goes. I'll also see about doing a replacement
SQL icon, which is the one ppl really hate!

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le vendredi 11 décembre 2009 à 13:33:47, Dave Page a écrit :
> 2009/12/11 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>:

> >> I just tried the ico file on a desktop shortcut and it looks great!  The
> >> only problem would be if you had a background of a similar colour, but
> >> it is very clear.
> >
> > Seems good to me too.
>
> OK, I'll try to optimise a little more (by removing any redundant
> formats) and see how it goes. I'll also see about doing a replacement
> SQL icon, which is the one ppl really hate!

When you'll commit the new icon, we'll have one less bug in Ubuntu's BTS:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pgadmin3/+bug/347256

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

wxWidgets 2.9?

От
Jyrki Wahlstedt
Дата:
Hi,
I just wonder, has anyone tried to get pgAdmin3 to work with wxWidgets 2.9.0 yet? My concern is that on OS X 10.6
wxWidgetsis not happy with 64-bit world (depending on Carbon interfaces) on 2.8 level, 2.9 should behave better, but it
isnot stable and not complete. If pgAdmin3 works with 2.9 at all, how well does it work, any missing main features?

with best greetings,
Jyrki Wahlstedt

Re: wxWidgets 2.9?

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le dimanche 13 décembre 2009 à 19:04:06, Jyrki Wahlstedt a écrit :
> [...]
> I just wonder, has anyone tried to get pgAdmin3 to work with wxWidgets
>  2.9.0 yet? My concern is that on OS X 10.6 wxWidgets is not happy with
>  64-bit world (depending on Carbon interfaces) on 2.8 level, 2.9 should
>  behave better, but it is not stable and not complete. If pgAdmin3 works
>  with 2.9 at all, how well does it work, any missing main features?

wxWidgets 2.9 changed quite a lot of things, which makes it incompatible with
pgAdmin. We need to work on that. I hope to find some time to do that.
Unfortunately, it's really not a nice and interesting work, so it's definitely
pretty low in my priority list.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

> When you'll commit the new icon, we'll have one less bug in Ubuntu's BTS:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pgadmin3/+bug/347256

OK, I made a few tweaks:

- Added a new pgAdmin3 icon. I updated (and renamed for consistency)
pkg/mac/pgAdmin3.icns. I also added/updated the following files in
pgadmin/include/images: pgAdmin3.ico, pgAdmin3.png, pgAdmin3-16.xpm,
pgAdmin3-32.xpm. I removed pgAdmin3.xpm, elephant32.xpm and
elephant48.xpm.

- Added a new SQL icon. I updated pkg/mac/sql.icns, and added/update
the following files in pgadmin/include/images: sql.ico, sql.png,
sql-16.xpm and sql-32.xpm. I removed sql.xpm.

I've updated all the appropriate code I could find that referenced any
of these, but it's not entirely impossible that I've broken something
along the way!

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Jean-Michel Pouré
Дата:
Le lundi 14 décembre 2009 à 14:43 +0000, Dave Page a écrit :
> - Added a new pgAdmin3 icon. I updated (and renamed for consistency)
> pkg/mac/pgAdmin3.icns. I also added/updated the following files in
> pgadmin/include/images: pgAdmin3.ico, pgAdmin3.png, pgAdmin3-16.xpm,
> pgAdmin3-32.xpm. I removed pgAdmin3.xpm, elephant32.xpm and
> elephant48.xpm.

Thanks!

By the way, Gnu/Linux latest versions allow SVG icons. I am sure that
Gnome supports SVG icons. It could be the same for KDE, I did not test.

Bye,
Jean-Michel

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Dave Page
Дата:
2009/12/14 Jean-Michel Pouré <jmpoure@free.fr>:
> Le lundi 14 décembre 2009 à 14:43 +0000, Dave Page a écrit :
>> - Added a new pgAdmin3 icon. I updated (and renamed for consistency)
>> pkg/mac/pgAdmin3.icns. I also added/updated the following files in
>> pgadmin/include/images: pgAdmin3.ico, pgAdmin3.png, pgAdmin3-16.xpm,
>> pgAdmin3-32.xpm. I removed pgAdmin3.xpm, elephant32.xpm and
>> elephant48.xpm.
>
> Thanks!
>
> By the way, Gnu/Linux latest versions allow SVG icons. I am sure that
> Gnome supports SVG icons. It could be the same for KDE, I did not test.

Right, but I couldn't find out whether Gnome, KDE and XFCE all support
SVG, and for how long they have done so. I know they all like PNG
which is why I added that in a high-res format the can be scaled by
packagers if needed.

Also, the icon composer package I'm using (with which the SQL icon was
created) works entirely in raster, and frankly I'm not good enough to
try to create something comparable from scratch in inkscape or gimp
:-(.

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Jean-Michel Pouré
Дата:
Dear Dave, Guillaume and all,

Here is a screenshot of the committed logos:
http://www.poure.com/images/capture.png

Sorry if I did not follow the discussions lately, but the outline logo
does not look like anything usable. Frankly, I cannot stand this logo.
It makes me shiver!

IMHO, we should stick to the SVG original version of the logo and commit
ICO, PNG and SVG versions of the logo.

The was a lot of work from the author of the original logo, we should
preserve this work as far as possible, just adding a shadow.

Here are my versions:
http://www.poure.com/images/pgadmin3.svg

Can we commit my SVG version and use Guillaume's PNGs which scaled down
nicely? Dave what is your opinion? Do you believe that your simplified
logo suits better pgAdmin?

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Dave Page
Дата:
2009/12/14 Jean-Michel Pouré <jmpoure@free.fr>:
> Dear Dave, Guillaume and all,
>
> Here is a screenshot of the committed logos:
> http://www.poure.com/images/capture.png
>
> Sorry if I did not follow the discussions lately, but the outline logo
> does not look like anything usable. Frankly, I cannot stand this logo.
> It makes me shiver!

<sigh>

There was only a handful of messages, in the thread you started. You
could have at least kept half an eye on it and commented when I
submitted the logo for review.

> IMHO, we should stick to the SVG original version of the logo and commit
> ICO, PNG and SVG versions of the logo.
>
> The was a lot of work from the author of the original logo, we should
> preserve this work as far as possible, just adding a shadow.
>
> Here are my versions:
> http://www.poure.com/images/pgadmin3.svg
>

> Can we commit my SVG version and use Guillaume's PNGs which scaled down
> nicely? Dave what is your opinion? Do you believe that your simplified
> logo suits better pgAdmin?

As discussed, it doesn't scale down to 16x16 without becoming a mess,
so I presented the alternative as a simplification which does.

If you can come up with something better that does scale down, I'm
happy to look at it. As it happens, I've just seen that the new one
goes fuzzy when displayed on an XP style application bar, so it'll
have to be changed again anyway.

Are you at least happy that the SQL icon is an improvement over the
previous nasty blue one?

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Jean-Michel Pouré
Дата:
Sorry for not following the thread this week-end. I was away and now I
am a little sick, so I have more time!

> As discussed, it doesn't scale down to 16x16 without becoming a mess,
> so I presented the alternative as a simplification which does.

Look at my screenshot:
http://www.poure.com/images/capture.png

The simplified logo does not scale down to 16x16 nor 32x32.

> If you can come up with something better that does scale down, I'm
> happy to look at it. As it happens, I've just seen that the new one
> goes fuzzy when displayed on an XP style application bar, so it'll
> have to be changed again anyway.

It seems to me that Guillaume proposal scales pretty well to 16x16 and
32x32. I uploaded Guillaume's PNG icons there:
http://www.poure.com/images/

If you believe that the 16x16 icon does not scale well, why not
concentrate only on this icon.

The other icons are (in my opinion) really superb. Just like pgAdmin3
programming!

> Are you at least happy that the SQL icon is an improvement over the
> previous nasty blue one?

Yes.

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Dave Page
Дата:
2009/12/14 Jean-Michel Pouré <jmpoure@free.fr>:
> Sorry for not following the thread this week-end. I was away and now I
> am a little sick, so I have more time!
>>
>> As discussed, it doesn't scale down to 16x16 without becoming a mess,
>> so I presented the alternative as a simplification which does.
>
> Look at my screenshot:
> http://www.poure.com/images/capture.png
>
> The simplified logo does not scale down to 16x16 nor 32x32.

It does if done properly, which your file browser doesn't seem to be
doing. See the attached image, which shows the various Mac versions.

>> If you can come up with something better that does scale down, I'm
>> happy to look at it. As it happens, I've just seen that the new one
>> goes fuzzy when displayed on an XP style application bar, so it'll
>> have to be changed again anyway.
>
> It seems to me that Guillaume proposal scales pretty well to 16x16 and
> 32x32. I uploaded Guillaume's PNG icons there:
> http://www.poure.com/images/
>
> If you believe that the 16x16 icon does not scale well, why not
> concentrate only on this icon.

I'm not a good enough artist to fix something so small, except by
starting with something more simple at a larger size and then scaling
it down.

BTW, the second screenshot attached shows Guillaumes version of the
original 16x16 next to the simplified one.

> The other icons are (in my opinion) really superb. Just like pgAdmin3
> programming!
>
>> Are you at least happy that the SQL icon is an improvement over the
>> previous nasty blue one?
>
> Yes.

Cool. I just committed new versions of the XPMs with a little
transparency added to make them softer in line with the other toolbar
buttons.

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Jean-Michel Pouré
Дата:
Le lundi 14 décembre 2009 à 16:25 +0000, Dave Page a écrit :

> BTW, the second screenshot attached shows Guillaumes version of the
> original 16x16 next to the simplified one.

I uploaded a new proposal for the x16 icon:
http://www.poure.com/images/

Modern OSes (Windows 7, Mac OS and GNU/Linux) support large icons. The
x16 icon should not stop you from publishing the original SVG icon,
which is superb.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

Вложения

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Dave Page
Дата:
2009/12/14 Jean-Michel Pouré <jmpoure@free.fr>:
> Le lundi 14 décembre 2009 à 16:25 +0000, Dave Page a écrit :
>>
>> BTW, the second screenshot attached shows Guillaumes version of the
>> original 16x16 next to the simplified one.
>
> I uploaded a new proposal for the x16 icon:
> http://www.poure.com/images/

That's certainly an improvement.

> Modern OSes (Windows 7, Mac OS and GNU/Linux) support large icons. The
> x16 icon should not stop you from publishing the original SVG icon,
> which is superb.

Assuming that all the old versions of Gnome/XFCE/KDE that we try to
support can handle svg, I don't have a problem with including that
icon.

What you proposal doesn't resolve though, is the fact that I'd like to
update the icon while we're at it. Admittedly I haven't made much
noise about that yet, but that's largely 'cos everyone seemed to like
the proposed new one.

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le lundi 14 décembre 2009 à 21:10:37, Dave Page a écrit :
> 2009/12/14 Jean-Michel Pouré <jmpoure@free.fr>:
> > Le lundi 14 décembre 2009 à 16:25 +0000, Dave Page a écrit :
> >> BTW, the second screenshot attached shows Guillaumes version of the
> >> original 16x16 next to the simplified one.
> >
> > I uploaded a new proposal for the x16 icon:
> > http://www.poure.com/images/
>
> That's certainly an improvement.
>
> > Modern OSes (Windows 7, Mac OS and GNU/Linux) support large icons. The
> > x16 icon should not stop you from publishing the original SVG icon,
> > which is superb.
>
> Assuming that all the old versions of Gnome/XFCE/KDE that we try to
> support can handle svg, I don't have a problem with including that
> icon.
>
> What you proposal doesn't resolve though, is the fact that I'd like to
> update the icon while we're at it. Admittedly I haven't made much
> noise about that yet, but that's largely 'cos everyone seemed to like
> the proposed new one.

What do you mean with "update the icon"? re-design it?

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Dave Page
Дата:
2009/12/14 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>:

> What do you mean with "update the icon"? re-design it?

Yeah, something new and interesting (but still elephant related). The
current icon is over a decade old. The splash screen could use an
update too.

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le lundi 14 décembre 2009 à 22:18:16, Dave Page a écrit :
> 2009/12/14 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>:
> > What do you mean with "update the icon"? re-design it?
>
> Yeah, something new and interesting (but still elephant related). The
> current icon is over a decade old. The splash screen could use an
> update too.

I'll ask my cousin. I refrained him to just get a better look for the 16x16
icon.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: pgAdmin3 icon

От
Jean-Michel Pouré
Дата:
Le lundi 14 décembre 2009 à 22:21 +0100, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> I'll ask my cousin. I refrained him to just get a better look for the
> 16x16
> icon.

Dear Guillaume and Dave,

It seems a reasonable approach. Scale down the SVG icon to 16x16 and
optimize colors. I really believe that the SVG icon is perfect.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

Вложения

Re: wxWidgets 2.9?

От
Jyrki Wahlstedt
Дата:
On 13.12.2009, at 23.39, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> Le dimanche 13 décembre 2009 à 19:04:06, Jyrki Wahlstedt a écrit :
>> [...]
>> I just wonder, has anyone tried to get pgAdmin3 to work with wxWidgets
>> 2.9.0 yet? My concern is that on OS X 10.6 wxWidgets is not happy with
>> 64-bit world (depending on Carbon interfaces) on 2.8 level, 2.9 should
>> behave better, but it is not stable and not complete. If pgAdmin3 works
>> with 2.9 at all, how well does it work, any missing main features?
>>

> wxWidgets 2.9 changed quite a lot of things, which makes it incompatible with
> pgAdmin.

No doubt about that...
> We need to work on that. I hope to find some time to do that.
> Unfortunately, it's really not a nice and interesting work, so it's definitely
> pretty low in my priority list.

Well, 2.9 is the future anyway, and on OS X 2.8 has the said difficulties (I've had a lot of grief still ahead to get
itbuild clean via MacPorts), so I hope two things:
1) 2.9 + OS X gets more mature
2) you find some time

> --
> Guillaume.
> http://www.postgresqlfr.org
> http://dalibo.com

Thanks anyway, I appreciate the work of all of you!

!
! Jyrki Wahlstedt
!    http://www.wahlstedt.fi/jyrki/
!
! Our life is no dream; but it ought to become one and perhaps will.
! PGP key ID: 0x139CC386 fingerprint: F355 B46F 026C B8C1 89C0  A780 6366 EFD9 139C C386