Обсуждение: Are there plans to display memory usage: pg_buffercache

Are there plans to display memory usage: pg_buffercache

От
Jean-Michel Pouré
Дата:
Dear Friends,

Hello everyone. Nice to talk to you again.

Just out of interest, I would like to know if there are plans to display
PostgreSQL 8.3+ memory usage in pgAdmin to help optimize memory size and
indexes. There is an interesting contrib module called pg_buffercache
that could be usefull if integrated in a nice display. Maybe this would
help pg_buffercache reach PostgreSQL core.

If someone is interested in picking up this contrib module, I can help
for the necessary queries.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

Re: Are there plans to display memory usage: pg_buffercache

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
Hi Jean-Michel, hope you are well.

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Jean-Michel Pouré <jm@poure.com> wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> Hello everyone. Nice to talk to you again.
>
> Just out of interest, I would like to know if there are plans to display
> PostgreSQL 8.3+ memory usage in pgAdmin to help optimize memory size and
> indexes. There is an interesting contrib module called pg_buffercache
> that could be usefull if integrated in a nice display. Maybe this would
> help pg_buffercache reach PostgreSQL core.

There are no current plans that I know of.

> If someone is interested in picking up this contrib module, I can help
> for the necessary queries.

Well I think we'd be happy to accept patches for this, but we're all
pretty busy at the moment, so I doubt any of us will have time to do
the work for this release :-(

Can we coax you back into some pgAdmin hacking? I know it's been a few
years, but it's like riding a bike - you never forget how :-)

--
Dave Page

Re: Are there plans to display memory usage: pg_buffercache

От
"Hiroshi Saito"
Дата:
Hi.

I'm sorry that correspondence interruption becomes long.
However, my work is saved without discussion....

Yeah, me too.!

> Well I think we'd be happy to accept patches for this, but we're all
> pretty busy at the moment, so I doubt any of us will have time to do
> the work for this release :-(

Ahh, the next release has many features.  probably, there is hard work.

> Can we coax you back into some pgAdmin hacking? I know it's been a few
> years, but it's like riding a bike - you never forget how :-)

pgAdmin team is a great project. !!
Then, I do not forget a friend.

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: Are there plans to display memory usage: pg_buffercache

От
Jean-Michel Pouré
Дата:
On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 16:14 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> Can we coax you back into some pgAdmin hacking? I know it's been a few
> years, but it's like riding a bike - you never forget how :-)

Dear Dave,

I hope you are doing well.

It is nice to be back. I will be reading the mailing list
and may well decide to hack a few things. Never say never ...

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

Re: Are there plans to display memory usage: pg_buffercache

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Jean-Michel Pouré <jm@poure.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 16:14 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
>> Can we coax you back into some pgAdmin hacking? I know it's been a few
>> years, but it's like riding a bike - you never forget how :-)
>
> Dear Dave,
>
> I hope you are doing well.
>
> It is nice to be back. I will be reading the mailing list
> and may well decide to hack a few things. Never say never ...

Excellent :-) I'm looking forward to it!

--
Dave Page