Обсуждение: Option to turn auto-indentation off?

Option to turn auto-indentation off?

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
Hi developers! Hi Dave!

Testing the pgAdmin III 1.8.0  Beta 1(Jul 13 2007, rev: 6423). Client
Win XP, host: Debian Sarge / PG 8.1.8 and Debian Etch / PG 8.2.4

Due to issues with multibyte characters, the auto-indentation feature in
the SQL dialogue window - which is nice while it works -  is a real
nuisance as soon as a single multibyte character is involved, which is
90 % of the time in my case.
Would you consider including an option to turn auto-indentation on /
off? Might be a welcome addition by itself, too.

The multibyte issues may be worth mentioning in the release notes as
well.  (Also messing up character count, which is a "byte count" as it is.)

BTW: the beta version has shown no new oddities during the last few days
of testing. Not a single crash so far.

Regards
Erwin

Re: Option to turn auto-indentation off?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> Hi developers! Hi Dave!
>
> Testing the pgAdmin III 1.8.0  Beta 1(Jul 13 2007, rev: 6423). Client
> Win XP, host: Debian Sarge / PG 8.1.8 and Debian Etch / PG 8.2.4
>
> Due to issues with multibyte characters, the auto-indentation feature in
> the SQL dialogue window - which is nice while it works -  is a real
> nuisance as soon as a single multibyte character is involved, which is
> 90 % of the time in my case.
> Would you consider including an option to turn auto-indentation on /
> off? Might be a welcome addition by itself, too.

Errr: Edit -> Auto Indent ?

> The multibyte issues may be worth mentioning in the release notes as
> well.  (Also messing up character count, which is a "byte count" as it is.)
>
> BTW: the beta version has shown no new oddities during the last few days
> of testing. Not a single crash so far.

Yay :-)

Thanks for testing.

/D

Re: Option to turn auto-indentation off?

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
dpage@postgresql.org wrote:
> Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
>> Hi developers! Hi Dave!
>>
>> Testing the pgAdmin III 1.8.0  Beta 1(Jul 13 2007, rev: 6423). Client
>> Win XP, host: Debian Sarge / PG 8.1.8 and Debian Etch / PG 8.2.4
>>
>> Due to issues with multibyte characters, the auto-indentation feature
>> in the SQL dialogue window - which is nice while it works -  is a
>> real nuisance as soon as a single multibyte character is involved,
>> which is 90 % of the time in my case.
>> Would you consider including an option to turn auto-indentation on /
>> off? Might be a welcome addition by itself, too.
>
> Errr: Edit -> Auto Indent ?

Arrgh! I have been seaching  File -> Options over an over for this. Is
it just me, or would others look for "Auto Indent" among options like
"Indent characters" or "Use spaces instead of tabs", too? (Or is it the
heat?) Anyway, my wish has been granted. Thanks! :)
Another idea, though: with Edit -> Auto Indent you can set this option
per window. What about a general setting in File -> Options?

Regards
Erwin

Re: Option to turn auto-indentation off?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> dpage@postgresql.org wrote:
>> Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
>>> Hi developers! Hi Dave!
>>>
>>> Testing the pgAdmin III 1.8.0  Beta 1(Jul 13 2007, rev: 6423). Client
>>> Win XP, host: Debian Sarge / PG 8.1.8 and Debian Etch / PG 8.2.4
>>>
>>> Due to issues with multibyte characters, the auto-indentation feature
>>> in the SQL dialogue window - which is nice while it works -  is a
>>> real nuisance as soon as a single multibyte character is involved,
>>> which is 90 % of the time in my case.
>>> Would you consider including an option to turn auto-indentation on /
>>> off? Might be a welcome addition by itself, too.
>>
>> Errr: Edit -> Auto Indent ?
>
> Arrgh! I have been seaching  File -> Options over an over for this. Is
> it just me, or would others look for "Auto Indent" among options like
> "Indent characters" or "Use spaces instead of tabs", too? (Or is it the
> heat?) Anyway, my wish has been granted. Thanks! :)
> Another idea, though: with Edit -> Auto Indent you can set this option
> per window. What about a general setting in File -> Options?

It'll remember the last setting you used (iirc, it saves it when you
close the window), so just open 1 window, change the setting, then close
again and it should all be good from there on.

I'm trying to keep the main options dialog for things that apply to the
main window, or multiple windows these days. Auto-indent on/off seems
more likely to be toggled on a per window basis than one's preference
for tabs sizes etc.

I do hope to overhaul all the settings code next cycle though...

Regards, Dave