Re: [HACKERS] interesting observatation regarding views and V7.0

От wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] interesting observatation regarding views and V7.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Something else we might consider as a stopgap is to resurrect the
> "compressed text" datatype that Jan wrote, and then removed in
> anticipation of having TOAST.  Jan was concerned about creating
> future compatibility problems by having a datatype with only a
> one-release-cycle expected lifetime ... but I think it might be
> OK to use it just internally for rules.
   Ech - must be YOU!
   If I hadn't deleted the entire (including catalog changes for   pg_type ... pg_rewrite) patch, I'd be the one to
suggest. We   could easily add some warning, like "LZTEXT will disappear in   a subsequent release again -  be
warned", spit  out  during   parse, if someone explicitly uses the lztext type.

   I'll  spend some time with CVS to see if I can regenerate the   patch from there.
   But I can feel the punches of Marc already - this patch  will   cause catalog changes after official BETA start - Uh
-Oh.

Jan

BTW: Good  chance for Vince to LOL if I fail on that one, since I    got very impatiant once about "correct usage of
CVS". Was a    little  off-list  flamewar that turned out to be mostly "you    got me wrong" during a phone  call.  But
things  like  that    linger in background until prooven :-). Showtime!