Re: [HACKERS] When is 7.0 going Beta?

От wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] When is 7.0 going Beta?
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] When is 7.0 going Beta?  (The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > I am concerned about a May release.  That puts us at almost a year from
> > the last major release in mid-June.  That is too long.  Seems like we
> > should have some release around February.
>
> Let's list the 7.0 items:
> [...]
> None of these are done, except for the system indexes, and that is a
> small item.  It seems everyone wants a grand 7.0, but that is months
> away.
>
> I propose we go into beta on 6.6 Jan 1, with final release Feb 1.  We
> certainly have enough for a 6.6 release.

#define READ_BETWEEN_LINES true

    THAT'S MY CHANCE :-)

    Let's  not  call  it  6.6, instead it should read 6.6.6 - the
    BEASTS release.  That  number  could  probably  make  serious
    database  users/admins  look  somewhat  more  careful  at the
    release notes.

> Also, I have never been a big fan of huge, fancy releases because they
> take too long to become stable.  Better for us to release what we have
> now and work out those kinks.

#define READ_BETWEEN_LINES false

    With all the PARTIALLY  developed  and  COMMITTED  fancy  7.0
    features  inside,  do  you really think that release would be
    easy to get stable? I fear the partial  features  we  already
    have  inside  lead  to a substantial increase in mailing list
    traffic.

    As far as I've read the responses, the users community called
    6.5  one  of  the  best  releases  ever  made. Many nice, new
    features and  an  outstanding  quality  WRT  reliability  and
    performance.  Never underestimate the users community hearsay
    in open source - don't play with our reputation!

    If we really go for a 6.6 release, we need to branch off from
    the 6.5 tree and backpatch things we want to have in 6.6 into
    there. Releasing some snapshot of the current 7.0 tree as 6.6
    IMHO is a risk we cannot estimate.

Jan