От: Lionel
Тема: Re: Which hardware ?
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Which hardware ?  ("Lionel", )
 Re: Which hardware ?  ("Scott Marlowe", )
 Re: Which hardware ?  (Andrew Sullivan, )
  Re: Which hardware ?  ("Scott Marlowe", )
  Re: Which hardware ?  (Greg Smith, )
   Re: Which hardware ?  ("Scott Marlowe", )
    Re: Which hardware ?  (Greg Smith, )
     Re: Which hardware ?  ("Scott Marlowe", )
 Re: Which hardware ?  (Matthew Wakeling, )
 Re: Which hardware ?  ("Lionel", )
  Re: Which hardware ?  (Andrew Sullivan, )
   Re: Which hardware ?  ("Scott Marlowe", )
   Re: Which hardware ?  (Greg Smith, )
 Re: Which hardware ?  ("Lionel", )
  Re: Which hardware ?  ("Scott Marlowe", )
  Re: Which hardware ?  (Greg Smith, )
 Re: Which hardware ?  (Jon D, )
 Re: Which hardware ?  ("Lionel", )

"Scott Marlowe" wrote:
> We had a reporting server with about 80G of data on a machine with 4G
> ram last place I worked, and it could take it a few extra seconds to
> hit the old data, but the SW RAID-10 on it made it much faster at
> reporting than it would have been with a single disk.

Would this be a nice choice ?

HP Proliant DL320 G5p  Xeon DC 3 GHz - 8 Go RAM DDR2 ECC
- 4 x 146 Go SAS 15k rpm   - RAID-10 HP Smart Array (128 Mo cache)

I finally choose to have 2 data tables:
- one with pre aggregated (dividing size by 10), unpartitionned (=the
database they currently use)
- one with original data, yearly partitionned

I will choose before each statement which table will be used depending on
which select/joins/where/groupby the user choosed.
The aggregated datas will allow me to maintain actual performances (and even
improve it using the new hardware twice more powerfull).

I think lines aggregation will be handled by the java application (excel/csv
file loaded in memory),
which will be much faster than using a trigger on insertion in the full
table.

Thanks.