Re: Benchmarks

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Benchmarks
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> -Tyan dual-core/dual-cpu mainboard (
> -One Opteron 270 2.0GHz (although our vendor gave us two for some reason)
> -Chenbro 3U case (RM31212B) - OK, but not very well thought-out
> -8 Seagate SATA drives (yes, we stuck with our vendor of choice, WD
> Raptors may have been a better choice)
> -3Ware 9550SX-12MI
> -2GB RAM (we'll get more when we need it)

yes, you should have bought raptors :)

> So what are people using to get a general feel for the bang/buck ratio?
> I've toyed with Bonnie, IOZone and simple "dd" writes.  I'd like to go a
> little further and actually hit Postgres to see how the entire system
> performs.  My reasons are, in no particular order:

also pgbench.

> The second is a pretty big deal - we've been doing all 1U builds and
> currently spread our load amongst individual db servers that also do the
> web front end for mailing list management.  This has worked OK, but we may
> want to peel off the db section and start moving towards two large boxes
> like this with one replicating the other as a backup.

imo, this is a smart move.

> That last one is a stickler.  I've seen so much data posted on this list,
> is there any project in the works to collect this?  It seems like some
> RAID hardware just totally sucks (cough *Adaptec* cough).  Having a site
> that listed results for the more common benchmarks and sorting it out by
> hardware would help reduce the number of people that get burned by buying
> overpriced/underperforming RAID controllers/SANs.

just post to this list :) hardware moves quick so published
information quickly loses its value.  one warning, many people focus
overmuch on sequential i/o, watch out for that.

> I'll be throwing in some quick stats on the box described above later
> today...  At first glance, the 3Ware controller is really looking like an
> excellent value.

they are pretty decent.  the benchmark is software raid which actually
outperforms many hardware controllers.  adaptec is complete trash,
they even dropped support of their command line utilty for the
controller on linux, ugh.  ibm serveraid controllers are rebranded
adaptect btw.

merlin