Re: 1 TB of memory

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: 1 TB of memory
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 3/16/06, Jim Nasby <jnasby@pervasive.com> wrote:
> PostgreSQL tuned to the max and still too slow? Database too big to
> fit into memory? Here's the solution! http://www.superssd.com/
> products/tera-ramsan/
>
> Anyone purchasing one will be expected to post benchmarks! :)

I like their approach...ddr ram + raid sanity backup + super reliable
power system.  Their prices are on jupiter (and i dont mean jupiter,
fl) but hopefully there will be some competition and the invetible
decline in prices.  When prices drop from the current 1-2k$/Gb to a
more realistic 250$/Gb there will be no reason not to throw one into a
server.  You could already make a case for an entry level one to
handle the WAL and perhaps a few key tables/indexes, particularly ones
that are frequenct vacuum targets.

ddr approach is much faster than flash nvram inherintly and has a
virtually unlimited duty cycle.  My prediction is that by 2010 SSD
will be relatively commonplace in the server market, barring some
rediculous goverment intervention (patentes, etc).

merlin