Re: Copy table structure

От Peter Childs
Тема Re: Copy table structure
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 paul@entropia.co.uk wrote:

> On 4 Oct 2003 at 12:22, Anshuman Kanwar wrote:
>
> here's one way:
>
> mfx=# begin; create table NEWTABLE as select * from OLDTABLE; delete from
> NEWTABLE; end;

    Whats wrong with

CREATE TABLE newtable AS SELECT * FROM oldtable WHERE false;

The first method will mean having to vacuum the table after putting loads
of data in and then removing it. Also WHERE false should be faster
especially if oldtable is full of data.
    Using either method you will only get the column types not the
constraints, primary keys, indexes, defaults, not null, etc. Which I guess
is what you really want :(

Peter Childs