Re: Oracle rant

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Oracle rant
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder writes:

>  - postgres should auto-tune itself - the *cost could perhaps be
> adjusted after some statistics have been collected, and there should be
> some sensible way to determine an optimal setting for the famous
> shared_buffers (and the default should be something that gets reasonable
> performance on common cases)

Over the last couple of years PostgreSQL has transformed from hardly
configurable to fully configurable.  Currently we're in a mode where we
add new configuration parameters whenever there's a degree of uncertainty.
Sooner rather than later we need to shift to the next phase, which is as
you say autoconfiguration, because ease of administration is one of the
great advantages of PostgreSQL.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net