Re: Progress report on locale safe LIKE indexing

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Progress report on locale safe LIKE indexing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hiroshi Inoue writes:

> If your solution is short-lived, your change would be not
> only useless but also harmful. So I expect locale-aware
> people to confirm that we are in the right direction.

I am a bit confused here.  We have tinkered with LIKE indexing at least a
year.  Now that a solution is found that *works*, it is claimed that it is
harmful because LIKE was doing the wrong thing in the first place.  OTOH,
I have not seen anyone independently claim that LIKE is wrong, nor do I
see anyone proposing to actually change it.  If we install my fix now we
have a system that works better than the previous release with no change
in semantics.  If someone wants to change LIKE at a later point, reverting
my changes would be the least part of that work.