RE: Best practice

От Willis, Ian (Ento, Canberra)
Тема RE: Best practice
Дата
Список pgsql-general
What would the the best choice for the WAL mirroring, raid3 or 5. How big
does the WAL grow? mirroring is fine as long as the size isn't too big.

--
Ian Willis

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
Sent: Friday, 20 April 2001 9:22 AM
To: geustace@godzone.net.nz
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Best practice

geustace@godzone.net.nz writes:
> We use Ingres where I work and when setting up a server we always
> try to ensure that the log and data files are on different spindles.

This would be good practice in PG simply for performance reasons.
Ideally the WAL log should be on a disk that has nothing else to do,
so that you never have to seek somewhere else than the current WAL
segment.

I'm not sure that we can yet guarantee very much about recovery from
disk hardware failures.