Re: Remove trailing newlines from pg_upgrade's messages

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Remove trailing newlines from pg_upgrade's messages
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 at 11:54, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Yeah, that is sort of the inverse problem.  I think those are there
> to ensure that the text appears on a fresh line even if the current
> line has transient status on it.  We could get rid of those perhaps
> if we teach pg_log_v to remember whether it ended the last output
> with a newline or not, and then put out a leading newline only if
> necessary, rather than hard-wiring one into the message texts.

Is the problem that pg_upgrade doesn't know what the utilities it's
calling are outputting to the same terminal?

Another thing I wonder is if during development and testing there
might have been more output from utilities or even the backend going
on that are
not happening now.

--
greg