RE: Re: PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which sh ould I use?

От Michael Ansley
Тема RE: Re: PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which sh ould I use?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Is the code for the php manual site available, and configurable?

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
Sent: 16 February 2001 16:04
To: Bruce Momjian
Cc: Frank Joerdens; Mitch Vincent; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which
should I use?

>> ... I wonder whether this is an inbuilt,
>> unavoidable problem with free software projects once they reach a certain
>> level of popularity.

> Funny you should mention PHP.  I talked to Rasmus about the email volume
> when I first met him in the fall.  He said the volume of email is so
> great that just reading the subject lines takes a long time.

> We aren't there yet, but we are heading in that direction.

Yes, the shape of the curve is pretty clear --- it's already not
possible for the key developers to respond to everything, and that'll
get worse.  We have to start thinking about ways to spread out the load
better.

> Second, I have started to skip emails
> with subjects that contain obvious questions, relying on other users to
> answer these.

I still try to read everything, but I'm trying to train myself not to
answer the easy questions ;-).  Other folks should step up and answer
if they know the answer.

Aside from persuading more people to spend time answering email
questions, I agree we need to work harder on making answers findable
outside the mailing lists.  Improving the docs, making the mail archives
more easily searchable, etc etc.  I dunno if an "annotated manual" would
help --- I've never used one --- but if people want to try one, it can't
hurt.  The main problem is to get the work done.  We need volunteers to
actually do some of these things, not just suggest them ...

Nick West - Global Infrastructure Manager.

www.mimesweeper.com