Re: Vacuum dead tuples that are "between"

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Vacuum dead tuples that are "between"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
<1141132955.27729.119.camel@localhost.localdomain>, Simon Riggs
<simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> OTOH a few hackers discussed this recently and found that nobody
used
> serializable transactions (ST) except during pg_dump.

I've not been able to keep up with all messages on these lists, and I
missed that discussion.

We use serializable transactions heavily; our whole middle tier
architecture depends on having that transaction isolation level for all
requests which modify data.  (You probably don't want to hear the
details.)  It would be OK (although a little disappointing) if VACUUM
enhancements weren't as beneficial to us as a result; it would render
PostgreSQL entirely unusable for us if the integrity of serializable
transactions was broken unless we added some other, non-standard steps
to run them.

We only use pg_dump for version upgrades and other special cases.  PITR
is our main backup technique.

-Kevin