Re: Failure to Start Postmaster/postgres

От John DeSoi
Тема Re: Failure to Start Postmaster/postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Daniel,

On Feb 15, 2005, at 7:44 PM, Daniel Blavos wrote:

>     I am rather new to Postgres (been using for about 5 months) and am
> having a slight issue with postgresql and it starting up.  I am
> running Debian GNU/Linux Woody 3.0, on a self-built server running
> DocMGR (http://docmgr.sourceforge.net/ [That one, there are so many
> versions of that program out]), Apache 1.3.33, Postgres, and multiple
> security programs.  When I reboot my machine, Postgres will not
> startup, and is not able to be forced to run after I have logged in
> and tried to manually start it.  I check all of the error logs on my
> Postgres user and in my root user's /var/log directory, and there is
> no sign of it failing.  All the error message I receive at
> startup tells me to do to fix this is look at the log files which, in
> essence, are completely clean.  Can anyone point me in a general
> direction to fix this problem; and thus allow me to get my server back
> up and running?

PostgreSQL is very good about telling you about startup problems, so if
you don't see anything I'm wondering if you are looking in the correct
logs. Take a look at the startup command for PostgreSQL (usually pg_ctl
start) and check the -l option to see where the log file is written.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL