Re: pg_upgrade - add config directory setting

От Mr. Aaron W. Swenson
Тема Re: pg_upgrade - add config directory setting
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 10:44:29AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of jue sep 29 09:56:09 -0300 2011:
> >
> > Thinking some more, I don't need to know the data directory while the
> > server is down --- I already am starting it. pg_upgrade starts both old
> > and new servers during its check phase, and it could look up the
> > data_directory GUC variable and use that value when accessing files.
> > That would work for old and new servers.  However, I assume that is
> > something we would not backpatch to 9.1.
>
> Why not?  We've supported separate data/config dirs for a long time now,
> so it seems to me that pg_upgrade not coping with them is a bug.  If
> pg_upgrade starts postmaster, it seems simple to grab the data_directory
> setting, is it not?

I was going to say. I'd view this as bringing the behavior of pg_upgrade
to a consistent state with postgres. I vote for it being backpatched to
9.0 even. For whatever my vote is worth.

--
Mr. Aaron W. Swenson
Pseudonym: TitanOfOld

Сообщение: Re: Does RelCache/SysCache shrink except when relations are deleted?
Сообщение: Re: Does RelCache/SysCache shrink except when relations are deleted?