Re: Redundant explicit field name/types description while select from function with return type of record

От Sam Mason
Тема Re: Redundant explicit field name/types description while select from function with return type of record
Дата
Ответ на Re: Redundant explicit field name/types description while select from function with return type of record  (Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler@timbira.com>)
Список pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 01:43:25PM -0300, Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:
> Eugen.Konkov@aldec.com wrote:
> >a column definition list is required for functions returning "record"
> >It seems a BUG
> >
> I don't think so. We can say it is a missing feature. As stated in [1],
> record types don't have a predefined structure -- they're placeholders.

I was having a similar discussion with Gregory Stark about this and
hadn't realised that such small amounts of state was recorded with each
row.

> How do you know the row structure before hand? Its structure can be
> changed on-the-fly.

Sorry, I don't understand this comment.  Could you elaborate?

  Sam