Problems logging in

От John Oliver
Тема Problems logging in
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Important stuff:  Fedora Core 2, postgresql-7.4.7-3.FC2.1  Also, I know
*nothing* about PostGreSQL, SQL, or databases in general :-)

I installed the RPMs and the service starts and runs.  I added a user
and gave it a password, and gave the psql user "postgres" a different
password.  But I can log on with neither.  No, I didn't forget the
passwords :-)

Searching for this sort of problem leads to a lot of the same thing, and
a lot of different responses about how the pg_hba.conf should read.
I've tried a huge number of variations, restarting the service between
each iteration.

Normally, stuff like this is less painful with logs.  But I can find no
working log file for psql.  In /etc/init.d/postgresql, I found a line
PGLOG=/dev/null amd replaced it with PGLOG=/var/log/psqllog
/var/log/psqllog was created but is 0 length after restarting the
service and a few failed login attempts.  Assuming there's no "This is
the exact reason why your logins don't work" answer, how do I get
logging working so as to at least have another clue?