Re: ODBC and inappropriate select *

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: ODBC and inappropriate select *
Дата
Re: ODBC and inappropriate select *  (Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>)
Список pgsql-general
> Is that select * being used to COUNT the number of rows?  If so,
> then do a "select count(*)" which will take the db engine about as
> long, but it won't need to transfer the data across.

Beats me. WE are not requesting a "select *" at all in the VB code. We
are selecting and updating the rows we want to select and update via
the appropriate "where" information.

Somewhere in the black box that is VB/BusinessObjects/ODBC something
is deciding that a "select *" is necessary for reasons unknown and
then choking on (well, not actually choking but digesting slowly) the
data returned.

I'm just trying to find out if anyone has seen this problem and is it
something inherent in VB, BusinessObjects or ODBC? In other words, is
it something we can fix or do we need to set aside time to rewrite
the app in a language that doesn't have these problems?

Cheers,
Steve