using max() aggregate

От Louis-David Mitterrand
Тема using max() aggregate
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hello,

I am trying to return the most recently updated record from a table:

SELECT max(stopdate) FROM auction;

and this works but only returns the timestamp, however if I try to get
another column with the aggregate it fails:

SELECT title,max(stopdate) FROM auction;
ERROR:  Attribute auction.title must be GROUPed or used in an aggregate function

Ok, so I group it now:

SELECT title,max(stopdate) FROM auction GROUP BY title;    title     |          max
---------------+------------------------dfsdfsdf      | 2000-07-10 05:00:00+02dssdfsdfsdfsf | 2000-07-09
16:00:00+02sdfsdfsdfsdf | 2001-04-10 15:00:00+02

(3 rows)

But the problem is that I now get three rows when I only want the max()
item.

How should I do it?

Thanks in advance,

--
Louis-David Mitterrand - ldm@apartia.org - http://www.apartia.fr

"Logiciels libres : nourris au code source sans farine animale."