Re: Moving from SQL Anywhere to PostGres - First Time

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Moving from SQL Anywhere to PostGres - First Time
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 11:37 -0500, Robert Paresi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have 700 user install base using Sybase SQL Anywhere 9.02
>
> We are looking at migrating these installations over to PostGres
>
> 1.  Very Very Short Answer Please - why should we?

* Lower TCO
* More flexibility
* A growing platform, not a shrinking one

(note: I am not arguing about SQL Anywhere and its capabilities. It is a
fine database)

> 2.  Does anyone have a utility or migration application to read SQL Anywhere
> to go to PostGres

I don't know of one.

> 3.  Does PostGres handle column descriptions (ie: you can give each column a
> 50 character description) and then access it via SQL Result Set (like I can
> do in Sybase)

You are able to use COMMENT ON, with pretty much every object that you
can create.

> 4.  Is there any Date/TimeStamp issues and conversions I need to know about.
> I use simply a DATE field and a TIME field - but do not use DATE/TIME stamp
> fields together.

We have those types:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/datatype-datetime.html

> 5.  What UI/Developer tools (GUI) are available to manage the database as
> well as add/change columns rather than doing it via SQL commands.

You can use psql (text based), pgadmin, navicat, and about 4 dozen
others.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Сообщение: Re: Moving from SQL Anywhere to PostGres - First Time
Сообщение: Re: Moving from SQL Anywhere to PostGres - First Time