Re: Hardware upgrade for a high-traffic database

От Rod Taylor
Тема Re: Hardware upgrade for a high-traffic database
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 17:31, Brian Hirt wrote:
> On Aug 11, 2004, at 3:18 PM, Jason Coene wrote:
> >
> > I'm wondering why our PG server is using so little memory...  The
> > system has
> > 2GB of memory, though only around 200MB of it are used.  Is there a PG
> > setting to force more memory usage towards the cache?  Additionally,
> > we use
> > FreeBSD.  I've heard that Linux may manage that memory better, any
> > truth
> > there?  Sorry if I'm grabbing at straws here :)
> >

> i don't know about freebsd, but linux is very aggressive about using
> unused memory for disk cache.  we have dedicated linux box running pg

Aggressive indeed.. I'm stuck with the version that has a tendency to
swap out active processes rather than abandon disk cache -- it gets very
annoying!

Сообщение: Re: Hardware upgrade for a high-traffic database
Сообщение: Re: Hardware upgrade for a high-traffic database