Re: trash talk

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: trash talk
Re: trash talk  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 13:30, David Parker wrote:
> In an article about IBM's releasing Cloudscape to Apache,

> eWeek says:
>
> "The developer community for Cloudscape now consists of about 80 IBM
> developers, Rivot said. IBM of course anticipates that population will
> explode when the open-source community gets its hand on the code, but
> just because a product goes open source doesn't mean it will succeed, as
> can be witnessed by the failure of the PostgreSQL database to thrive
> under this model."
>
> It's amazing how much list activity there is for this "dead" database!
> ;-)

That's because he's a marketeer, not a developer or a sysadmin.  He only
understands market-speak.

For him, thrive == grow visible market share, make me some money, let me
buy myself an expensive bottle of wine.
For us, thrive == grow user base, developer base, code base, knowledge
base, let me buy a you a pizza.

I.e. the people who use postgresql mostly love, the people who don't
mostly haven't heard of it.  No buzz, no hype.  For people who rely on
PostgreSQL to get the job done, this is not a disadvantage.