Re: need for in-place upgrades

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: need for in-place upgrades
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 06:37, Christopher Browne wrote:
> ron.l.johnson@cox.net (Ron Johnson) wrote:

> >> Nope.  You also need it for the time when your vendor sells
> >> controllers or chips or whatever with known flaws, and you end up
> >> having hardware that falls over 8 or 9 times in a row.
> >
> > ????
>
> This of course never happens in real life; expensive hardware is
> _always_ UTTERLY reliable.
>
> And the hardware vendors all have the same high standards as, well,
> certain database vendors we might think of.
>
> After all, Oracle and MySQL AB would surely never mislead their
> customers about the merits of their database products any more than
> HP, Sun, or IBM would about the possibility of their hardware having
> tiny flaws.

Well, I use Rdb, so I wouldn't know about that!

(But then, it's an Oracle product, and runs on HPaq h/w...)

> And I would /never/ claim to have lost sleep as a result of flakey
> hardware.  Particularly not when it's a HA fibrechannel array.  I'm
> /sure/ that has never happened to anyone.  [The irony herre should be
> causing people to say "ow!"]

Sure, I've seen expensive h/e flake out.  It was the "8 or 9 times
in a row" that confused me.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

The difference between drunken sailors and Congressmen is that
drunken sailors spend their own money.