Re: Free-space-map management thoughts

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Free-space-map management thoughts
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net> writes:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the FSM is only populated by vacuum, so there
> is no FSM information for any given table / database until it's vacuumed, in
> a long running production enviornment this may not be that important, but it
> could result in a large increase in file size any time the database is
> restarted.

Right.  The original assumption was that people don't restart production
servers, so startup-transient behavior isn't very important.  But that's
obviously not a great assumption.  It seemed expedient at the time
(partly because I wasn't sure FSM would fly at all) --- but now it's
time to go back and fill in the holes.