Re: Free-space-map management thoughts

От Matthew T. O'Connor
Тема Re: Free-space-map management thoughts
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> PS: Another idea I'm toying with is to dump out the FSM contents at
> postmaster shutdown and reload them at restart, so that the FSM doesn't
> have to start from ground zero on every restart cycle.  But that's
> independent of the management algorithm...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the FSM is only populated by vacuum, so there
is no FSM information for any given table / database until it's vacuumed, in
a long running production enviornment this may not be that important, but it
could result in a large increase in file size any time the database is
restarted.

I think this change, while independent of your proposal, is important.