Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 07:54:24AM -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 4:44 AM Matthias van de Meent
> <boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I noticed that the improvement in bloat control in the HeapAM that I
> > know of (3c3b8a4b, 0ff8bbde) weren't documented here. Although each
> > can be considered minor, they together can decrease the bloating
> > behaviour of certain workloads significantly (and limit the total
> > damage), and in my opinion this should be mentioned.
> >
> > 3c3b8a4b: Returns space claimed for the line pointer array back to the
> > page's empty space, so that it can also be used for tuple data.
> >
> > 0ff8bbde: Allows large tuples to be inserted on pages which have only
> > a small amount of data, regardless of fillfactor.
>
> +1 on mentioning both things.

OK, you are confirming what Matthias suggested.  I added these two
items, which both seem to apply only to heap pages, not index pages:

    <listitem>
    <!--
    Author: Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>
    2021-04-07 [3c3b8a4b2] Truncate line pointer array during VACUUM.
    -->

    <para>
    Deallocate space reserved by trailing unused heap line pointers
    (Matthias van de Meent, Peter Geoghegan)
    </para>
    </listitem>

    <listitem>
    <!--
    Author: Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com>
    2021-03-30 [0ff8bbdee] Accept slightly-filled pages for tuples larger
    than fill
    -->

    <para>
    Allow wide tuples to be always added to almost-empty heap pages (John Naylor,
    Floris van Nee)
    </para>

    <para>
    Previously tuples whose insertion would have exceeded the page's fill
    factor were instead added to new pages.
    </para>
    </listitem>