Re: Storing files: 2.3TBytes, 17M file count

От Jacob Bunk Nielsen
Тема Re: Storing files: 2.3TBytes, 17M file count
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thomas Güttler <guettliml@thomas-guettler.de> writes:

> I have 2.3TBytes of files. File count is 17M
>
> Up to now we use rsync (via rsnapshot) to backup our data.

Isn't putting those files into your database going to make any sort of
maintanance on your database cumbersome? How big is your database
currently? Is it worth growing a lot to store files in it?

If your database is e.g. 100 GB, then growing it to 2.4 TB just to store
some files is probably not desirable. I would at least avoid it of
possible.

We currently have a similar situation with files stored on NFS and
shared among a few servers that way, but we are about to decommission
the NFS based storage system, and in that connection I'm looking into
using unison to sync files across servers. That could be used for backup
purposes as well.

I saw you mentioned somewhere else that you had outgrown inotify. I
tested unison with 10M files and it worked just fine. Of course not in the
same directory, because that would surely hurt, not due to inotify but
due to how most file systems handles directories with lots of files.

--
Jacob