Re: scheduler in core

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: scheduler in core
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 18:19 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine@hi-media.com> writes:
>> > What would it take to have it included in core,
>>
>> I don't think this really makes sense.  There's basically no argument
>> for having it in core other than "I'm too lazy to install a separate
>> package".  Unlike the case for autovacuum, there isn't anything an
>> in-core implementation could do that an external one doesn't do as well
>> or better.  So I'm not eager to take on additional maintenance burden
>> for such a thing.
>
> There is zero technical reason for this to be in core.
>
> That doesn't mean it isn't a really good idea. It would be nice to have
> a comprehensive job scheduling solution that allows me to continue
> abstract away from external solutions and operating system dependencies.

Maybe what we need, on the technical level, is a way to distribute this
code with the main product but without draining too much effort from
core members there. Like we do with contribs I guess, but on a larger
scale.

I guess git submodules, PGAN, extensions and all that jazz are going to
help. Meanwhile I'll have to learn enough of pgAgent to figure out how
much it's tied to pgadmin, and we'll have to make those other facilities
something real.

Regards,
--
dim