Re: [HACKERS] Installation procedure wishes

От wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Installation procedure wishes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > 3. Next step is adding plpgsql into database template1 (or patching creatdb
> > script) to add plpgsql every time as I create new db
>
> That's a one-command thing now, so I'm not seeing why it's harder to issue
> the command than type a configure option ...

    Initially   I  thought  it  would  be  nice  to  offer  those
    procedural languages that can  be  TRUSTED  ones  to  regular
    users  by default.  So I first added the appropriate commands
    to initdb. Some complained and I moved  them  out  again  and
    added  the new commands (createlang and destroylang) instead.

    And I agree - I was  wrong.  It's  bad  practice  to  install
    things by default that some don't need. A database system has
    some defined priorities:

    1.  Reliability

    2.  Reliability

    3.  Security

    4.  Reliability

    5.  Security

    n.  Capabilities, performance and other non-critical items.

    Adding types/operators/procedural-languages by default to any
    created database is easy. Add them to the template1 database.
    If you forgot it during an upgrade or restore, be  sure  some
    user will tell you soon.

    But if you have choosen the conservative way of beeing a site
    admin, noone will ever tell you if you forgot  to  DISABLE  a
    feature after a 50 hour restore marathon.

Jan

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] New TODO item
От: gravity
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] (don't know who else to tell) 6.5 gets build on LinuxPPCR5 but fails a lot of regr. tests