Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6
Список pgsql-hackers
Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

> >     If  there's  (only  one)  Perl  PROGRAMMER  out  in the world
> >     reading this, who does see a (however small)  possibility  to
> >     explain  how to integrate a Perl interpreter into PostgreSQL,
> >     RESPOND!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Well I'm a Perl programmer. I don't have a clue about how to integrate
> Perl into PostgreSQL, but it should be possible.
>
> I'd like to help. I know Perl, but nothing about the internals of
> PostgreSQL and I don't code C.

    That's the point and why I wrote programmer in capitals (REAL
    PROGRAMMERS STILL THINK AND TALK IN CAPITALS). It's not  Perl
    script-writing   what's   needed   at  this  stage.  We  need
    programmers that are familiar with the  C  API  of  Perl  and
    could  easily  write  things  like the Pg package. And that's
    still not enough knowledge.

> >     Maybe Perl isn't the scripting language someone should choose
> >     because  it  is  too  limited in it's capabilities - remember
>
> Too limited? Perl? You're joking.

    No, I wasn't joking. Up to now there's only  one  person  who
    said  that  what  we  need is possible, but it wouldn't be as
    easy as it should be.  I didn't talked about how powerful the
    Perl  language  is.  And  I  know that it's easy to integrate
    anything into Perl. But after all, it's a  Perl  script  that
    has the entire control.

    This  time, the Perl interpreter has to become a silly little
    working slave.  Beeing quiet  until  it's  called  and  quiet
    again  after  having  served  one function call until the big
    master PostgreSQL calls him again.

    This  flexibility  requires  a  real  good  design   of   the
    interpreters internals.  And that's what I'm addressing here.

> >     that real  programmers  don't  use  pascal...  -  maybe  real
> >     programmer wouldn't ever use Perl...
>
> Then I'm no real programmer. But then again I program in any language
> that is needed.

    You aren't - you're a script writer and that's a today quiche
    eater :-)

    The  term  "Real  Programmer"  is something any hacker should
    know!

    Top of the article "Real Programmers Don't Use Pascal":

    <<Back in the good old days -- the "Golden Era" of computers,
    it  was  easy  to  separate  the men from the boys (sometimes
    called "Real Men" and "Quiche  Eaters"  in  the  literature).
    During   this  period,  the  Real  Men  were  the  ones  that
    understood computer programming, and the Quiche  Eaters  were
    the ones that didn't. ...>>

    Take a look at

        http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/foldoc/33/86.htm

    and follow the links - enjoy.

Jan

От: "Hiroshi Inoue"
Сообщение: RE: [HACKERS] postgresql-v6.5beta2.tar.gz ...
От: Tatsuo Ishii
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] postgresql-v6.5beta2.tar.gz ...