Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

От wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dmitry Samersoff wrote:

> This message is in MIME format
> --_=XFMail.1.3.p0.FreeBSD:990608114224:212=_
>

> On 07-Jun-99 Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> >>     If  there's  (only  one)  Perl  PROGRAMMER  out  in the world
> >>     reading this, who does see a (however small)  possibility  to
> >>     explain  how to integrate a Perl interpreter into PostgreSQL,
> >>     RESPOND!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Easy.
> See attachment.

Dmitry,

    it's  well  known  that a Perl script can access a PostgreSQL
    database. But that's not the thing we're looking for.

    For building PL/Perl, the Perl INTERPRETER must be INSIDE the
    backend. Only if it is part of the PostgreSQL backend, it can
    have access to the SPI.  It will not work  to  spawn  off  an
    external  interpreter  which  then contacts the database back
    via Pg. Thus, there must be some way to link a shared  object
    against  the  Perl  libraries  and at the time the PostgreSQL
    database backend loads our shared object to call functions in
    the Perl library.

    The  attachment you've sent is simply a Perl script that does
    some db access. Nice, but not the point. Please show  us  how
    easy it is to do what we want.

Jan

От: Oleg Broytmann
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL History(Parody)
От: "Hiroshi Inoue"
Сообщение: RE: [HACKERS] postgresql-v6.5beta2.tar.gz ...