Extending postgres objects with attributes

От Davor J.
Тема Extending postgres objects with attributes
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Several times I wanted to "extend" some of the postgres objects, like roles
or functions. For example, sometimes you want to add extra attributes to
roles, which are application dependent. Or sometimes you want to store
functions and reference them in your custom tables, without losing
referential integrity.

Now, postgres doesn't allow it's objects (from system tables) be referred to
in your custom tables, thereby making the process of extension difficult.
(cf. http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2004-12/msg00840.php) So I
wanted to ask here how people solve/implement such "extension" requirements?

Regards,
Davor

PS using inheritance in this scenario is problematic. U can for example do
this: CREATE TABLE tbl_privileges ( priv_execute integer ) INHERITS
(pg_authid); but the system internally will probably always use FROM ONLY
pg_authid, so it will not see the users from tbl_priviledges. IN other
words, those user will not be "real roles". Note also the fact that in this
way, pg_authid could seem to have it's UNIQUE constraint on rolname
invalidated (besides the other INHERITANCE caveats...) And finally, I wonder
if inheriting a system table is even safe...

От: Merlin Moncure
Сообщение: Re: How to know if an INSERT is done inside a function?
От: Andre Lopes
Сообщение: Open Source Forum Software using PostgreSQL?