Re: Abnormal performance difference between Postgres and MySQL

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Abnormal performance difference between Postgres and MySQL
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Farhan Husain <russoue@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Farhan Husain <russoue@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > I can provide any other information needed and also the data if anyone
>> > wants.
>>
>> What did the query plans look like in both databases?
>>
>> In Postgres you can get the query plan with
>>
>> EXPLAIN ANALYZE select ...
>>
>> You can leave out the ANALYZE if you can't wait until the query completes
>> but
>> it will have much less information to diagnosis any problems.
>>
>> --
>>  Gregory Stark
>>  EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com
>>  Ask me about EnterpriseDB's Slony Replication support!
>
> I am doing the EXPLAIN ANALYZE now, it will take about 1 hour and 20 minutes
> again. I will get back to you once it is finished. Do you know how to get
> the query plan in MySQL?

Explain works in mysql.  It just doesn't tell you a whole lot, because
the query planner's dumb as a brick.  Note that often that stupid
query planner makes queries run really fast.  When it doesn't, there's
not a lot of tuning you can do to fix it.

What does plain explain on pgsql tell you?  Please attach output back
to the list from it for us to peruse.

От: Scott Marlowe
Сообщение: Re: Abnormal performance difference between Postgres and MySQL
От: Farhan Husain
Сообщение: Re: Abnormal performance difference between Postgres and MySQL