Re: list tablespaces named in custom format dump

От Rob Sargent
Тема Re: list tablespaces named in custom format dump
Дата
Re: list tablespaces named in custom format dump
Список pgsql-general
On 5/23/22 11:51, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 5/23/22 10:19 AM, Rob Sargent wrote:
On 5/23/22 11:07, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 5/23/22 10:01 AM, Rob Sargent wrote:
On 5/23/22 11:00, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 5/23/22 9:54 AM, Rob Sargent wrote:
On 5/23/22 10:50, Adrian Klaver wrote:

This is great news.  I do have pg14.  I thought you had to dump with the save version as restore

pg_dump and pg_restore are backwards compatible. The recommendation is to use the same version of pg_dump as the server you are dumping if the plan is use it as backup to restore to same version of server. If you are planning on restoring to newer version then use the newer version of pg_dump to dump the older server version e.g. version 14 pg_dump dumps version 12 Postgres server. Then use the newer version of pg_restore(14 in this case) to restore to the Postgres 14 server.

For the purposes of this question using the 14 version of pg_restore is acceptable to get the information. Actually doing a restore to a 14 version of the server with 12 version of a dump file may create problems as the 12 version of pg_dump may not include information needed by the newer server.

Thanks Adrian.  There's enough wiggle room in there for me to at least try the restore.  Linus file command tells me
db.dump: PostgreSQL custom database dump - v1.13-0
That dump was from a version 10 server.  Any guess at how that "v1.13-0" relates to the server version?  Dumps from the current pg14 server  say "v1.14-0" so it looks to me like the dumps were done with v13 pg-restore.  This surprises me, but I do not manage the server.  Maybe my dump file doesn't have anything pg14 restore can't handle.. we'll see

Thanks again, all.

От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: list tablespaces named in custom format dump
От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: list tablespaces named in custom format dump