Re: Automatic PK values not added to new rows

От Ron
Тема Re: Automatic PK values not added to new rows
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 5/25/22 13:17, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2022, David G. Johnston wrote:
>
>> The value the sequence provides next is wholly independent of everything
>> except the state of the sequence. It doesn’t care how many rows any table,
>> even its owner, has. The very existence of the delete command should make
>> this self-evident.
>
> David J.,
>
> I didn't know that.

people_person_nbr_seq would have to somehow peek into public.people and
automatically update itself.  I'd be hopping mad if Postgresql did that
after I explicitly set the value of people_person_nbr_seq to the value of my
choosing, as if Postgresql knows better than I do what I want the next value
of people_person_nbr_seq to be.

От: Rich Shepard
Сообщение: Re: Automatic PK values not added to new rows
От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: Automatic PK values not added to new rows