Re: Linux max on shared buffers?

От Arjen van der Meijden
Тема Re: Linux max on shared buffers?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
By my understanding, there is a limit to that.
Since there can be no more than 4GB memory addressed on a ix86 system
PER process (you can have 16 of these partitions of 4GB with a Xeon
machine) and the kernel allocates 1GB of memory for its own purposes
(can be adjusted up or down during the kernel compilation) it leaves you
with 3GB of memory maximum per process.

Ofcoarse it is possible that the sharedmemory handler has a max of 2GB
it is a "pretty number" ;)
What you should try first is whether you gain any performance from 1GB
to 1.5GB and from 1.5GB to 2GB...
If that doesn't improve any, why bother about the 3GB.

От: linux_211@hotmail.com (igor)
Сообщение: Re: Disabling case sensitivity
От: Igor Sysoev
Сообщение: Re: was there a change in FreeBSD SHM implementation from 4.4 to