Re: Case Insensitive Comparison with Postgres 12

От Daniel Verite
Тема Re: Case Insensitive Comparison with Postgres 12
Дата
Список pgsql-general
    Igal Sapir wrote:

> > Out of curiosity is there a eason not to use the citext type for th?
> >

> Using the collation seems like a much cleaner approach, and I trust ICU to
> do a better job at comparing strings according to language rules etc.

One notable difference between citext and case-insensitive collations
by ICU is that the latter recognizes canonically equivalent sequences
of codepoints [1] as equal, while the former does not.

For instance:

=# CREATE COLLATION ci (locale='und@colStrength=secondary',
      provider='icu', deterministic=false);

=# SELECT E'E\u0302TES'::citext = 'Êtes'::citext AS "citext-equal",
      E'E\u0302TES' = 'Êtes' collate "ci" AS "ci-equal";
 citext-equal | ci-equal
--------------+----------
 f          | t

Another significant difference is that building or rebuilding an index on a
text column with a CI collation appears to be way faster than with citext
(I've seen 10:1 ratios, but do your own tests).

On the minus side, substring matching with LIKE or other methods
is not possible with CI collations whereas it does work with citext.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_equivalence

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
Twitter: @DanielVerite

От: Christoph Moench-Tegeder
Сообщение: Re: Perl DBI converts UTF-8 again to UTF-8 before sending it to theserver
От: Christoph Moench-Tegeder
Сообщение: Re: SELECT d02name::bytea FROM ... && DBI::Pg