Re: Crash by targetted recovery

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: Crash by targetted recovery
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2020/02/27 17:05, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> Thank you for the comment.
>>> It seems to me the word "streaming" suggests that WAL record should be
>>> read sequentially. Random access, which means reading from arbitrary
>>> location, breaks a stream.  (But the patch doesn't try to stop wal
>>> sender if randAccess.)

>>> I thought that and it should work, but I hesitated to manipulate on
>>> currentSource in StartupXLOG. currentSource is basically a private
>>> state of WaitForWALToBecomeAvailable. ReadRecord modifies it but I
>>> think it's not good to modify it out of the the logic in
>>> WaitForWALToBecomeAvailable.
>>
>> If so, what about adding the following at the top of
>> WaitForWALToBecomeAvailable()?
>>
>>      if (!StandbyMode && currentSource == XLOG_FROM_STREAM)
>>           currentSource = 0;
>
> It works virtually the same way. I'm happy to do that if you don't
> agree to using randAccess. But I'd rather do that in the 'if
> (!InArchiveRecovery)' section.

The approach using randAccess seems unsafe. Please imagine
the case where currentSource is changed to XLOG_FROM_ARCHIVE
because randAccess is true, while walreceiver is still running.
For example, this case can occur when the record at REDO
starting point is fetched with randAccess = true after walreceiver
is invoked to fetch the last checkpoint record. The situation
"currentSource != XLOG_FROM_STREAM while walreceiver is
  running" seems invalid. No?

So I think that the approach that I proposed is better.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT DATA CORPORATION

От: Asif Rehman
Сообщение: Re: Online verification of checksums
От: Dave Cramer
Сообщение: Re: Error on failed COMMIT