Re: pgcon unconference / impact of block size on performance

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: pgcon unconference / impact of block size on performance
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 6/13/22 17:42, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 4, 2022 at 6:23 PM Tomas Vondra
> <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com <mailto:tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     At on of the pgcon unconference sessions a couple days ago, I presented
>     a bunch of benchmark results comparing performance with different
>     data/WAL block size. Most of the OLTP results showed significant gains
>     (up to 50%) with smaller (4k) data pages.
>

> Wow.  Random numbers are fantastic,  Significant reduction in sequential
> throughput is a little painful though, I see 40% reduction in some cases
> if I'm reading that right.  Any thoughts on why that's the case?  Are
> there mitigations possible?

I think you read that right - given a fixed I/O depth, the throughput
for sequential access gets reduced. Consider for example the attached
chart with sequential read/write results for the Optane 900P. The IOPS
increases for smaller blocks, but not enough to compensate for the
bandwidth drop.

Regarding the mitigations - I think prefetching (read-ahead) should do
the trick. Just going to iodepth=2 mostly makes up for the bandwidth
difference. You might argue prefetching would improve the random I/O
results too, but I don't think that's the same thing - read-ahead for
sequential workloads is much easier to implement (even transparently).

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: pltcl crash on recent macOS
От: Aleksander Alekseev
Сообщение: Re: better page-level checksums