Re: WAL record CRC calculated incorrectly because of underlying buffer modification

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: WAL record CRC calculated incorrectly because of underlying buffer modification
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2024-05-17 at 10:12 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> That's something I've done four weeks ago in the hash replay code
> path, and having the image with XLR_CHECK_CONSISTENCY even if
> REGBUF_NO_CHANGE was necessary because replay was setting up a LSN on
> a REGBUF_NO_CHANGE page it should not have touched.

Then the candidate fix to selectively break XLR_CHECK_CONSISTENCY is
not acceptable.

> Yeah, agreed that getting rid of REGBUF_NO_CHANGE would be nice in
> the
> final picture.  It still strikes me as a weird concept that WAL
> replay
> for hash indexes logs full pages just to be able to lock them at
> replay based on what's in the records.  :/

I'm still not entirely clear on why hash indexes can't just follow the
rules and exclusive lock the buffer and dirty it. Presumably
performance would suffer, but I asked that question previously and
didn't get an answer:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BTgmoY%2BdagCyrMKau7UQeQU6w4LuVEu%2ByjsmJBoXKAo6XbUUA%40mail.gmail.com

And if that does affect performance, what about following the same
protocol as XLogSaveBufferForHint()?

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose