Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May  9, 2024 at 02:17:12PM +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 1:03 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> >
> > I have committed the first draft of the PG 17 release notes;  you can
> > see the results here:
> >
> >         https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-17.html
>
> Thank you for working on that!
>
> I'd like to mention some of my works. I think we can add the vacuum
> performance improvements by the following commits:
>
> - Add template for adaptive radix tree (ee1b30f1)
> - Add TIDStore, to store sets of TIDs (ItemPointerData) efficiently (30e144287)
> - Use TidStore for dead tuple TIDs storage during lazy vacuum (667e65aac)

Okay, I reworded the item, added authors, and added the commits:

    <!--
    Author: John Naylor <john.naylor@postgresql.org>
    2024-03-07 [ee1b30f12] Add template for adaptive radix tree
    Author: Masahiko Sawada <msawada@postgresql.org>
    2024-03-21 [30e144287] Add TIDStore, to store sets of TIDs (ItemPointerData) ef
    Author: Masahiko Sawada <msawada@postgresql.org>
    2024-04-02 [667e65aac] Use TidStore for dead tuple TIDs storage during lazy vac
    Author: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@iki.fi>
    2024-04-03 [6dbb49026] Combine freezing and pruning steps in VACUUM
    -->

    <listitem>
    <para>
    Allow vacuum to more efficiently remove and freeze tuples (John Naylor, Masahiko Sawada, Melanie Plageman)
    </para>
    </listitem>

> Also, please consider the following item:
>
> - Improve eviction algorithm in ReorderBuffer using max-heap for many
> subtransactions (5bec1d6bc)

I looked at that item and I don't have a generic "make logical
replication apply faster" item to merge it into, and many
subtransactions seemed like enough of an edge-case that I didn't think
mentioning it make sense.  Can you see a good place to add it?

> Finally, should we mention the following commit in the release note?
> It's not a user-visible change but added a new regression test module.
>
> - Add tests for XID wraparound (e255b646a)

I don't normally add testing infrastructure changes unless they are
major.

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re:
От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: request for database identifier in the startup packet