Re: pgsql: Change timeline field of IDENTIFY_SYSTEM to int8

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: pgsql: Change timeline field of IDENTIFY_SYSTEM to int8
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
On Mon, Jul 04, 2022 at 01:55:13AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> writes:
> > Change timeline field of IDENTIFY_SYSTEM to int8
>
> Surely this patch is far from complete?

Yeah..

> But what about whatever code is reading the output?  And what if
> that code isn't v16?  I can't believe that we can make a wire
> protocol change as summarily as this.

Assuming that one reaches a timeline of 2 billion, this change would
make the TLI consumption of the client safe to signedness.  But why is
it safe to do a protocol change when running IDENTIFY_SYSTEM?  We've
been very strict to maintain compatibility for any protocol change,
hence why should the replication protocol be treated differently?
--
Michael

Вложения

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: pgsql: Refactor sending of RowDescription messages in replication proto
От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: pgsql: Replace durable_rename_excl() by durable_rename(), take two